Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is something already on this and I overlooked it somewhere please let me know. There is a short in the column somewhere, I have gone over all the wires with a tester and the voltage tests out fine and everything in the column seems to be just fine. Using the blinkers/ hazard lamps doesn't bother anything, but every time I hit the brakes it blows the fuse out. Occasionally the brake lights will work (generally just the right side), both bulbs are good and there is voltage to the lights and the blinkers are working. I was fiddling around with the oil pressure sensor wire and when I moved the wiring going across the top of the motor it shorted out and blew the brake/ hazard fuse. I have been trying to resolve this issue for quite some time and I am having trouble tracing it and in particular for what wires are what on this damn thing. Wiring diagrams do little for me as I don't really get them. If I could get a list of the wire colors and their specific functions (not a diagram, just a list) and some advice on this issue I think I could get it resolved. I would prefer to re-wire parts of the harness myself over purchasing a new harness for the truck. Its a March, 1989 Eddie Bower Edition Bronco.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I might not have used the best wording for the original post. Usage of the brakes blows the fuse. Using the blinker switch on the column blows the fuse (left/ right & hazard switch). Using my own wired switches for the blinkers/ hazards does not blow the fuse, nor do they work when the fuse is blown. (They are still wired through the fuse/ blinker relay). I have found one reliable source of information in regards to the wire colors in the column and what they do, although a few of the wire colors quoted do something else, or are not there, although I have determined through trial and error the wiring in the column and what they relate to.
Where it does not make sense to me is the fact that my personally wired switches do not blow out the fuse, but the column switches do. I clipped my wires onto the existing wires (column is still completely wired).
I try to learn this stuff as I do it, and I am not much of an electrician. I would prefer mechanical issues, but those have been fixed. I am on a very tight budget and I cannot pay someone to fix this stuff for me, which is why I am trying to seek advice/ find information that would allow me to fix this on my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the basics of electricity. I'm not building circuitry over here, adding resistors and doing all sorts of crap to it. I simply branched wires off the existing wires into switches rated for the voltage for said wires. Its not that hard to find the voltage of a circuit and add a switch to it, or find the amperage and add a fuse to it. I took existing wires and wired them through a different switch so I could work them outside of the column. I'm not an electrician, but I'm not a complete idiot either. Again, I'm not building a mother board or some other complex crap that I could never do. And I found a forum where the people are less of assholes about shit, and more willing to help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
More willing to help? He posted several links to help you fix your problems.
As far as being an asshole, it seems to me he was just trying to get you to answer some questions so he could help you better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's not the first time, and it won't be the last.
But I slept really well last night.

Steve, we all appreciate your help. I have no idea where you got all the information you have or why you chose to organize it so well, but I often stay up way too late reading through it so I'll know how to fix all the bugs my truck has one day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts