Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long winded post.. Been struggling with the steering column in my Bronco for the past year since I bought it, will start from the beginning..
When I first bought it, I noticed I had to push up on the column for the key to make a connection and start the truck, I noticed it over the past couple weeks not making the connection as well. Then at Napa last week it wouldn't make a connection at all, I kept trying and long story short it never clicked so I had to jump the solenoid. Now, I can't get it to start from the key at all (wired up a temporary push button), which I can live with, but when I turn the key all the way back to shut the truck off and remove the key - it clicks into accessory position and my radio comes on. But if I leave the key forward just a hair the radio stays off. So now I can't even remove my key because the only way to do so leaves my radio on. I think the actuator inside my column snapped, anything else it could be? I replaced the key tumbler and no dice.

Do you guys recommend just buying a whole new column? Where can I get one? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Hi Alan,
Do you have a tilt column, or no? Also, what year is your truck?
If you're not sure, try pushing the turn signal arm toward the dash. If it moves you have a tilt column.

It's most likely the turn signal switch. These can cause all sorts of problems when they start to go out.
On my '81, I learned that when my turn signal would stay solid (the light on the dash wouldn't blink), I had to jiggle the key, otherwise my brake lights weren't working. Replacing this fixed that. They connect a lot of stuff that has to do with the key as well.

Not saying that this IS the root of your issue with certainty, but it's a place to start, as these can become problematic.
It's not too hard to replace either.

1980-1983:
Non-tilt:

Tilt:

1984-1991
Non-tilt:

Tilt:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Look for a thread on here titled something like ‘85 actuator replacement on tilt column”. It’s a great tutorial on a lot of the column.

I had to repin my tilt column pawl so I’ve been in it pretty good. Probably have some pics I could share or post if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
68 Posts
Omg, I read this post because I was thinking at some point I want to install a tilt column....

Now I am not sure i should admit this, but after reading AbandondedBronco's post about push the turn signal towards the dash, I just discovered I have a tilt column... 🤣

Now I won't have the annoyed look when I look around my steering wheel (like an owl trying to spot prey) every time I go to see if my blinker is still on or not!!

I remember my 85 XLT had tilt, so I was surprised my 86 EB didnt have it (I thought) but i just dont remember it working like that?
Oh well, thanks for that guys!!

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Omg, I read this post because I was thinking at some point I want to install a tilt column....

Now I am not sure i should admit this, but after reading AbandondedBronco's post about push the turn signal towards the dash, I just discovered I have a tilt column... 🤣
Hah, no worries. I think a LOT of people don't know they have a tilt column because of that. It's zero intuitive.
Fun find!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Alan,
Do you have a tilt column, or no? Also, what year is your truck?
If you're not sure, try pushing the turn signal arm toward the dash. If it moves you have a tilt column.

It's most likely the turn signal switch. These can cause all sorts of problems when they start to go out.
On my '81, I learned that when my turn signal would stay solid (the light on the dash wouldn't blink), I had to jiggle the key, otherwise my brake lights weren't working. Replacing this fixed that. They connect a lot of stuff that has to do with the key as well.

Not saying that this IS the root of your issue with certainty, but it's a place to start, as these can become problematic.
It's not too hard to replace either.

1980-1983:
Non-tilt:

Tilt:

1984-1991
Non-tilt:

Tilt:
Thanks! Yes, tilt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts