Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad just bought a '93 f-150 x-cab swb with a 302 5spd. Nice little truck at a nice price $1000. It has a couple of quirks but it also has 185k on it. The big issue is the steering column is super loose. you can move it nearly an inch in every direction.
My question is, has anyone delt with this issue in the past? It is a tilt column. Is there a rebuild kit for it or do we have to replace the whole column?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Check the bolts underneath the dash. There's an aluminum plate that has sloted holes in it and it hold up the steering column. I think if the bolts were loose this could happen. Are your brake pedal and clutch pedal loose also? They're all mounted together

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can grab the column by hand and wiggle it around inside the bearing. It is just loose the steering wheel will move in any direction (Ie up, down, left, right) at least 1". I know it isn't right. plus there was like 3-4 flat copper colored tin rings that were all bent up behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You shouldn't get that much slack unless the bearings are completely out of thier housings or the bolts holding the column on are loose. You really just need to take it apart. No sense guessing and if it's that loose, no since driving it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when I bought it, come to find out the PO had taken it apart and did not put snap ring in correctly. When you pull the steering wheel off there is a snap ring that holds the bearings thght and there are two grooves it will fit in he had the snap ring in the upper groove. I did not see the lower groove until I pulled up on the lower part of the moved the snap ring down and everything tightened up. Hope this helps:thumbup

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are just gonna replace the column becuase the bearing housing is totally toasted. I found one for like $300 which I think is a little steep but it is the only one that is available locally.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
We are just gonna replace the column becuase the bearing housing is totally toasted. I found one for like $300 which I think is a little steep but it is the only one that is available locally.
Thats about the same thing I went through.... and I have heard they are a bit of a PITA to rebuild. I got my replacment column at a local JY for $129.00 I think.... make SURE your replacment column has the keys or else the switch becomes a nightmare (you need the keys to get the ignition lock out).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts