Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 F150

Been having an intermittint starting issue, which makes it hard to diagnose...as it clears up, and starts immediatly...

Basically, it started out, that if I turned the key to the start postion, the relay on the fender would click, and nothing else would happen...couple tries and it starts no problem. DId the headlight test(lights on, attempt to start), and the lights wouldn't dim even a little. (It isn't connections, I've cleaned all of them due to chasing a issue I THOUGHT I had from a different gauge cluster, orginal one is still in there)

This problem was created most likely because of a water leak from windshield, as the drip falls directly into the steering column where there is a divide between the column/steering wheel.

As I figured, the issue reared its ugly head today. I can start the truck, but am unable to shut it off using the key. The key can be turned to any postion from run to accessorys, as long as I depress the key release on the column. I can even remove the key. In any postion the truck will stay running.

There is very little/no resistance on the key as I move it from run, off, acc. postions, with the exception of the key release...When in any position, there is power to everything, fuel pump, ecm, windows, radio...u name it, it has power. I have to unhook the pos. terminal to keep the battery from going dead.

I am planning to tear into this tomorrow, but would like some ideas. I'm pretty sure the two issues are related, but don't know until I figure out the key/igntion issue...The best thing I can figure, is something is gaulded/froze in place inside the column from the water dripping in...possibly the ignition actuator rod, but I won't know until I'm into it...

**For the record, moving the tilt, bumping on the top of the column ect made no change**

KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so, tore into it today. Found out that the igntion switch isn't being moved back and forth. Torn all the way down past the tilt part of the column (piece that the steering and signals mount on) When the key cylinder was rotated, the ignition switch wouldn't retract. I believe that there is a problem deeper in the column or that the two plastic actuators are to blame. It appears that they became unhooked, as the pin was no longer where it should have been...

Still anyone offer Ideas?

About to see about a new steering column from the junkyard...

KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/573959_1

I am currently trying to dis-assemble this thing, but in steps 16-18, it shows how to put the gear, steering column lock housing bearing, and plastic retainer clip in. How do you REMOVE them...for the life of me I can't see to figure it out...

I need to do this, because in order to re-assemble everything correctly, I'm going to have to do this...

KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nevermind, got the plastic clip out. Used a dental pick and some persuasion... The actuator that is moved by the gear has 1 tooth chipped off, and looks like a crack in another or two is started...

At this point I may just replace the column...

*Need key cylinder, ignition switch, bearings, two plastic actuators...so

Nobody? Not one person?

KC

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
Nevermind, got the plastic clip out. Used a dental pick and some persuasion...
The actuator that is moved by the gear has 1 tooth chipped off, and looks
like a crack in another or two is started...

At this point I may just replace the column...

Need
key cylinder,
ignition switch,
bearings,
two plastic actuators...

KC
Cool thread. LOL :)
No, really, updates tend to be my favorite part. :)

I've got a bunch of stuff left over from a tilt column I don't want or need.
For sure got the top three items not sure what number 4 is tho.

One of the parts has a shit-load of J-B-Weld on it and believe it's a metal
actuator of some sort.

Find an exploded view and post the URL so we'll have something in common
to reference?

{Oops! LOL :) I see the URL now, and also see yours isn't a '91 or older...
my parts prob'ly won't work :/ }

{I try to be helpful, it's just that I'm not very smart! :/ LOL :) }

------------------------

At this point I'm still using a cotter pin puller directly on my ignition switch. :)
http://www.restockit.com/images/Product/medium/577-2306.jpg
(ever'body... do yourself a favor and buy one of those! no kidding, do it)

My plan is to use this...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Bronco-ignition.jpg
...got to rewire a bunch of stuff and just haven't got to it yet.
(I'm looking forward to doing that tho, I don't see it as a chore)

I re-pinned that old-timey ignition switch to match my '75 F150's key. :)

This is how my Bronco was when I got it...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoColumn.jpg
...with a broken "tilt".

No thanks, on "tilt", YMMV? :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Bump ;)

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for encouragement Alvin. I'm going to have to buy parts and/or new column. yard wants 75 from steering wheel to the lower ujoint...

91 was the last year for that column to my knowledge. 92 they switched over to the column I have...So if you're offering parts, they wont work. But thanks anyway. I feel your pain on the starting with the ignition rod...did that for about a week till I got the column fixed in my other f150...

KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres an exploded view of what I'm working with/on. With the exception of the automatic shift parts:

I think I'm going to completely remove the steering column and work on it on the bench...guess the DD will be out of commision for a little while...
Parts 64-61 are my issue(s) Link to part names and numbers:http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/701936_1
KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Finished fixing it today. Found out that the pin on the upper actuator popped out and this created the issue. 2 new actuators and a bearing later. Problem solved...for now. Still can't figure out how it popped out...

Took a good many pictures when I put it back together, so hopefully in the next few days I'll try my hand at a "how to"/TECH writeup about it...may take a little longer since the pictures are reversed...

KC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts