Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Bronco and something in the column is broken. The key lock cylender turns past the point of starting with no resistance. I can start the truck by pulling the bar that engages the starter but i can't put it in gear. I have a new actuator to install but im wondering about the pins and spring. Im wondering about several things as I've been looking at diagrams for weeks. Any knowledge anyone has in this area would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I owned a '90 and what happened to me was the top of the bar that goes down to the actual ignition switch busted right where the lock cylinder engaged, and it was a real bummer to take out. If your key still turns you should be able to pop out the lock cylinder and look in there and see if the engagement arm is broken or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lock cylinder is out. That was the first thing. I didnt really know what I was looking for so I studied diagrams. I took the steering wheel off and, with a new cylinder in I can see it engaging the small gear thst moves the actuator. I cant see the whole actuator. Just the bottom. So im thinking the actuator is broken or the pin.. Also. When I turn the cylender my ignition rod moves sideways. Left to right slightly.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The lock cylinder is out. That was the first thing. I didnt really know what I was looking for so I studied diagrams. I took the steering wheel off and, with a new cylinder in I can see it engaging the small gear thst moves the actuator. I cant see the whole actuator. Just the bottom. So im thinking the actuator is broken or the pin.. Also. When I turn the cylender my ignition rod moves sideways. Left to right slightly.
The slight rod movement from left to right is a dead ringer give a way that it is in fact the actuator that broke... it 90% of the time breaks at the underneath side where you can’t see it... you’re going to have to take the steering wheel off and disassemble the rest of the upper steering column to get to the actuator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts