Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 ford bronco with an almost complete 3 inch body lift except for the the steering shaft is to short...performance accesories said to take apart the staft and drill out some pin inside and the extend the shaft....I was hoping some one could give me more info on extactly how to do this....I can not even get the shaft apart...........

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
i put a 3" BL on a '89 f150 once...the stock steering shaft worked fine on it. I don't mean to sound stupid or anyting, but how can you tell it's too short? :shrug

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
yea i put one on my 85 and only had slight binding for a day or two of driving it...greased everything and that prob went away..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for all your help i found out i had an aftermarket shaft on there from the previous owner...I got hold of an original shaft and now everything fits fine....................thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steering problem

My Bronco is a 91, I jus put in a 3" body lift myself on the weekd and, in the instrucsion sheet it said steering shaft while slide out with no mod. how ever after installing it, it does seem to short. I can see it has pulled out of the colum about an inch, and 1/4 inch out of the steering box. but it seems too tight and is hard to steer feels almost like a universal joint trying to turn but has too much angle , hard-smooth, hard-smooth ... as I steer. I looked to see if there was an after market extention ( out of kit ) couldnt find one but for some reason I think I need to weld in a uni joint from some other steering system... any seggestions.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
85f150 said:
only had slight binding for a day or two of driving it...greased everything and that prob went away..

I would wait a few days, spray everything where it slides down with a penetrant like WD 40 or PB Blaster.

Like i said above mine went away with in a week and the steering is fine

·
Registered
36 Posts
on my 78, the stock shaft does not work very well. it's to short at the rag joint. I made it work, but I tear up rag joints often because of the extra stress on them.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
flaming river and borgenson(sp?) both make a steering shaft with u-joints and you can have it any length you want

1 - 14 of 14 Posts