Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a SAS Bronco completely rebuilt Dana 44, new tie-rod ends, and steering box. The truck feels 75% better then before but the steering still feels easy to turn (not loose). Is their anything in the steering column to rebuild?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not sure of what you are saying. Is it too easy to turn or is there still play? if there is play, you may want to check the rag joint on the steering column.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If your tires turn as soon as you turn the steering wheel, and it turns easily then I would be proud of that system.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of what you are saying. Is it too easy to turn or is there still play? if there is play, you may want to check the rag joint on the steering column.
The rag joint looked good but i guess it's hard to tell by looking at it, i should just replace that also. The steering is just easy to turn (compaired to my 2000 F150), I was thinking it would be stiffer with the new gear box.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your tires turn as soon as you turn the steering wheel, and it turns easily then I would be proud of that system.
I turn the wheel a little before the wheels turn but not much. It all feels safe and tight just really easy and i don't like that when i'm up 10" with 38's.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Don't know what to say but maybe change your power steering pulley to a larger one. This will reduce the pressure and will reduce the "easiness" of the steering. I know your system isn't a Hydro Steering system, but the bigger the tires the harder it is to turn but with Hydro Steering it allows the driver to still turn the wheel one finger while wheeling instead of muscling the wheel.

So if you are still able to turn your steering wheel with one finger then I wouldn't worry about it as it means the system is doing it's job, making it easier to turn the tires.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know what to say but maybe change your power steering pulley to a larger one. This will reduce the pressure and will reduce the "easiness" of the steering. I know your system isn't a Hydro Steering system, but the bigger the tires the harder it is to turn but with Hydro Steering it allows the driver to still turn the wheel one finger while wheeling instead of muscling the wheel.

So if you are still able to turn your steering wheel with one finger then I wouldn't worry about it as it means the system is doing it's job, making it easier to turn the tires.
That's what i figure. I'll try the rag joint then see what happens.

Thanks all.:thumbup

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
So you're complaining that the steering works TO GOOD? Are you sure you're human?

I'd be happy and proud of a good performing, quick response steering...mines reall good compared to a few trucks I've driven. 87 Ramcharger had almost good 1/8-1/4 turn of the wheel before the tirse would move...looked like you where drinking and driving with it...

KC

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you're complaining that the steering works TO GOOD? Are you sure you're human?

I'd be happy and proud of a good performing, quick response steering...mines reall good compared to a few trucks I've driven. 87 Ramcharger had almost good 1/8-1/4 turn of the wheel before the tirse would move...looked like you where drinking and driving with it...

KC
LOL. I just don't like the easy steering with the height of the truck, it response good just too good. Maybe a couple steering stablizers will do the job and stiffen the steering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know what your saying. You want the steering wheel to be harder to turn, but you want the wheels to turn easily when you turn. If you hit a pot hole, you dont want the steering wheel to suddenly jerk around 90 degrees because it free spins so easily. You are correct, a couple of steering stabilizers will help. :beer

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what your saying. You want the steering wheel to be harder to turn, but you want the wheels to turn easily when you turn. If you hit a pot hole, you dont want the steering wheel to suddenly jerk around 90 degrees because it free spins so easily. You are correct, a couple of steering stabilizers will help. :beer
That's what I'm trying to stay!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
i had this exact same problem when i replaced my steerring box. on the steering box there is a adjustment screw and a nut on it ot keep it from moving. i believe you need to back that nut off abit and then screw the adjustment in quite abit to make it harder to turn

·
Registered
527 Posts
A stabilizer in general is a band aid for an existing problem.
Verify the problem, and do not attempt to fix this twitchy steering issue by lowering pressure or adding dampers.
This type of damper is better suited for dampening side loads or high impacts, and not to repair s situation of "fast steering".

If I understand this problem correctly, the steering is too light and too fast, which indicates a caster problem. If this vehicle has too much negative caster, the steering will be fast, almost like the vehicle is on its tippy toes.
Typically a high seed wobble almost always results, but not always.
Verify the caster before you throw money on band aid type repairs.

Put some positive caster in it, and this thing will track straight and true regardless of speed, and you will get some feeling back in to the steering wheel.

Caster is the problem here.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
i had this exact same problem when i replaced my steerring box. on the steering box there is a adjustment screw and a nut on it ot keep it from moving. i believe you need to back that nut off abit and then screw the adjustment in quite abit to make it harder to turn
Oooooo... I have seen many a steering box destroyed from over adjustment. It doesn't take much... A new steering box should be properly adjusted.

Good point, 75F350! But I still think dampers would be in order for 38" tires to minimize bumpsteer...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A stabilizer in general is a band aid for an existing problem.
Verify the problem, and do not attempt to fix this twitchy steering issue by lowering pressure or adding dampers.
This type of damper is better suited for dampening side loads or high impacts, and not to repair s situation of "fast steering".

If I understand this problem correctly, the steering is too light and too fast, which indicates a caster problem. If this vehicle has too much negative caster, the steering will be fast, almost like the vehicle is on its tippy toes.
Typically a high seed wobble almost always results, but not always.
Verify the caster before you throw money on band aid type repairs.

Put some positive caster in it, and this thing will track straight and true regardless of speed, and you will get some feeling back in to the steering wheel.

Caster is the problem here.
Makes good sense, haven't had the front end done since the SAS project.
That will be the first thing on my list next week.
Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oooooo... I have seen many a steering box destroyed from over adjustment. It doesn't take much... A new steering box should be properly adjusted.

Good point, 75F350! But I still think dampers would be in order for 38" tires to minimize bumpsteer...

NO plans on touching that screw, It's a new box and already set by the manufacturer.

No bumpsteer, like i said EVERYTING feels great just too easy to steer and the only thing i haven't done was the front end alingment.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts

I run, 40's and 44's (boggers) with no steering dampers on either truck.
Maybe I am the exception and not the rule, but it has been my experience that a steering system using proper geometry does not require a damper.
If the system wanders, or feels loose, it is a mechanical issue, or a system that has been improperly engineered.

I agree 1,000% about the steering box adjustment, and that it should be properly adjusted, but this is also true for the other components associated with the steering.
Everything has to be right, and a damper does not make it right, they just mask other issues.:thumbup

I feel that this issue the OP is describing is a simple fix, and can be tuned for optimum feel, and drive ability.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts