Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
830 Posts
Alright, I believe you if you checked, and it has been working good since. Just wanted to throw it out there as something to check (y)

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
WELL THEN.....
IT"S BACK!!! FUDGE!!!!!!!

On my way into work this morning, as soon as I turned left out of my subdivision, it said GOOD MORNING MUTHER FUDGER!!! REMEMBER ME!!! I had to turn back around and grab the car. Wasn't going to try and drive it this way.

Back to the drawing board. However, even when I stopped then started again, it didn't go away like it did before. So maybe this time since it's in a locked position, I can figure it out. Thinking one of 3 things:

-Steering box
-steering shaft
-worn rim (thinking more so the one of the other two)

But who the hell knows. All I know is I've owned 7 Bronco's in 28 years and I have NEVER experienced this before.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,794 Posts
Have you changed the passenger side u-joint yet? I wonder if it's binding too. You might also want to check the driver's side again to make sure the new u-joint didn't have a clip pop loose.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,857 Posts
How about ball joints?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@El Kabong I have not changed passenger side u-joint yet. I'll get my spare axle shaft for that side set up to swap in. Might as well have both sides freshened up. I'm confident that the clips are secured on driver's side, but will not go without a double check when I get back into it.

@cobrajoe Ball joints are fresh and tight. Did those a year and a half ago. I've already checked them for play and they didn't budge....surprising for these Michigan roads as they eat up our ball joints.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Fortunately my memory is better than my filing system. Below is the repair order for my '87 Bronco from 6/5/1990, when I had, what I believe to be, the same problem @sackman9975 is experiencing.
Notice that the repair order says, " ... will also do in 2WD after happens in 4WD" (That Bronco had 50,524 miles at the time, and I had a 60,000 mile extended warranty, so Ford repaired it under warranty after paying my $25 deductible)
Notice also that they replaced the left front u-joint and hub assembly. Took them two days.
1996 Ford Bronco Misc. Pictures picture | SuperMotors.net

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just removed the steering shaft from column and that u-joint spins nice and free.

The steering is not returning to center either.. so I think im down to 2 things. Axle u-joint on passenger side or steering gear box.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tonight, I swapped the front tires to the back. Going to drive it to work tomorrow. Test run proved thet locked state of the steering out of whack was gone.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hmm... strange. Bad rim? Hasn't come back to haunt me. Been driving it everyday.
So recap. I pulled drivers tire off to fix u-joint. Went a few days and it came back.... AND HARD. Worse than before.

Pulled tires all 4 and rotated them. Now that the fronts are on back, they're not going through the stress of turning left or right.

Like I said to start.... this is something I've never experienced before. Going to monitor and update in few more days. Hopefully I've figured this out.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
Hmm... strange. Bad rim? Hasn't come back to haunt me. Been driving it everyday.
So recap. I pulled drivers tire off to fix u-joint. Went a few days and it came back.... AND HARD. Worse than before.

Pulled tires all 4 and rotated them. Now that the fronts are on back, they're not going through the stress of turning left or right.

Like I said to start.... this is something I've never experienced before. Going to monitor and update in few more days. Hopefully I've figured this out.
IIRC, you put on some new wheels to replace the turbines you used to have, right?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well... not the rims.

It came back just now while on lunch. Craziest steering issue I've ever seen in my life. It's like a light switch, it's either off or on.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
It’s seeming more and more like the steering gear, huh? I know your tie rods and ball joints are new. I know the Cardones are cheap on Amazon right now - your stock gear would be $70 out of pocket after core rebate. Unless you want to drop coin on red or blue hardware.

·
--------------
4,353 Posts
Some questions,

1. Have you had a helper "rock" the steering wheel (KOEO)
while you inspect the steering assy under the hood?
(tre's, pitman & gear box, incl lower shaft.)

2. Have helper Turn the steering wheel (KOER) to the stops & bump it while your
looking at the bj's, tre's, pitman & steering gear box (for movement at Frame)?
I've seen the frame cracked right behind the Gear Box & Only shows with this test.

3. Tilt Wheel?
Have you inspected the Upper Shaft assy?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It’s seeming more and more like the steering gear, huh? I know your tie rods and ball joints are new. I know the Cardones are cheap on Amazon right now - your stock gear would be $70 out of pocket after core rebate. Unless you want to drop coin on red or blue hardware.
You know, I have a hard time believing that the gear box is the issue here. Because if it was, why after I pull tires is it fines for few days then returns?

Some questions,

1. Have you had a helper "rock" the steering wheel (KOEO)
while you inspect the steering assy under the hood?
(tre's, pitman & gear box, incl lower shaft.)
Yes, all looks good

2. Have helper Turn the steering wheel (KOER) to the stops & bump it while your
looking at the bj's, tre's, pitman & steering gear box (for movement at Frame)?
I've seen the frame cracked right behind the Gear Box & Only shows with this test.
Frame crack....huh. I will look for this because that's where my mind is wandering now. But my mind is actually thinking something in the rear that is shifting the rear axle to cause the front to feel like it is....The guy I bought it from said he had axle work done to it. But who knows if they pulled the whole axle out. I'm going to be putting a huge focus on the frame behind the gear box and rear end next.

3. Tilt Wheel?
Have you inspected the Upper Shaft assy?
I have pulled the steering shaft from the column and looked that far, and the u-joint connector moves nice and free with no play. Haven't went into the column yet.

Whatever it is, jacking the truck up at the minimum is resolving the issue for a few days then it returns.

MIND BLOWING to say the least.... but this episode today wasn't nearly as strong as the last episode and was easier to maintain steering. Still....there's something definitely wrong.

I made a video about a week ago to kinda show you what its doing. This was before I checked the steering shaft. Hard to really see, but you can pay attention to the steering wheel and see it has a mind of it's own with my comments.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Just watched the video. That’s crazy. It reminds me of my old Mustang once. It lost one of the camber/caster shim packs on the upper A-arm so that when I backed up and hit the brakes, one side of the A-arm would slide in and causing the wheel to pull to one side. After I pulled forward and hit the brakes, it would go back to normal with no pulling.

With the Bronco’s front suspension not being an A-arm suspension, that’s obviously not it, but I feel like it could be something similar (if not the steering shaft u joint.

Does it do it after a left turn? Right? After reverse braking? Forward braking?

I feel like if it’s not the u joint(s), maybe something like a loose shock tower, loose radius arm, or something like that maybe - something moving that isn’t supposed to.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It has done it immediately after a left turn more-so, but has done it with a right turn as well. But doesn't do it driving straight or when braking. Only does it driving straight AFTER a turn.

I don't think it's internal steering wheel related. Because, the gear box would hold true position of turns regardless of the steering wheel. Whatever is causing this is after gear box I believe. There's something that is binding the alignment up. Like I said, I'm starting to think its frame or rear axle related. But who the hell knows at this point....grasping at straws here.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Refresh my memory on your ball joint status?

I had an alignment done recently after replacing BJs and the top joints were super stiff. There was no self-centering; it took constant wheel input. I got it home and confirmed both top joints were stiff. I loosened them up, knocked them free, greased liberally while rotating, and reassembled. It has been much better after that - still not perfect, but manageable.

It seems like your truck has a penchant to pull to the left but not always as you show during the drive through your neighborhood. Just got me thinking if the joints are getting hung in a spot.

Apologies if this has already been covered.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts