Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
You seem to be forgetting that youy have power steering, and if the power assist is broken it will pull you all over the road with it's "assistance." Hydraulic issues like this can be intermittent.

If it's trying to actively fight you, that's likely the power steering. If the issue was static and consitant, I'd vote alignment.

I have a spare oem steering box if interested, located in CA.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Caster is the geometry that causes the steering to return to center. Interesting that the steering wheel is no longer centered, and this problem. Caster, as you know, is a function of ball joint geometry, but the steering wheel offset is a function of tie rod geometry. Why would both of these things go bad at the same time?
If the steering wheel suddenly became offset (needing to have the steering wheel rotated somewhat to have the vehicle drive straight) would indicate to me that something changed along the lines of the tie rods. If you have all the steering mechanism set up correctly, but the steering wheel is offset, you can just adjust the sleeves on the tie rods (equally) to center the steering wheel.
The steering shaft could cause the steering wheel to be offset, but I don't know how that could cause the truck to suddenly do that left turn thing.
That left turn thing could be an indication of one wheel having it's toe-in (or out) incorrect, which can also cause the steering wheel offset. Again this, to me, points to a tie rod type problem, as you said that the spindles are not causing a wheel to change direction without steering input.
Just thinking out loud, good luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
On the passenger side there are TWO U-joints, the outer one is easy to do. The inner one req taking the front diff apart. Major job.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bronco wheel base is 104.7"

Im getting 105 drivers side and 105.25 on passenger side. It's definetly not even.

My one pivot bushing that holds the traction beam on passenger side looks worn out. Could this be the culprit?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Found this.

However, I tightened it up and steering is still jacked up. But, could that have been it and now I need an alignment?

What a nightmare....

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
I’d say that could have been your issue with the pulling to the left. It’s a good thing you found that - hopefully that hole isn’t ovalled too bad. That might affect your toe in/out a little. Did you happen to get the Belle Tire lifetime alignment?? Lol

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I didn't get the lifetime alignment...

Plan of attack is to change out both axle bushings. Ive had those new in a box since I did everything else. Just haven't had time or really needed to do them. Then I will take that bracket completely off and examine the holes. Reassemble and take it in for another alignment..... only this time, I'll pay the extra just in case this isn't the issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This thread is getting so long I think you need to re-describe the problem and what you have beyond the shadow of a doubt eliminated.

For example, if your t-case is in 2WD mode AND your hubs are unlocked, the front shafts should not be spinning and they should not be an issue
This can be confirmed by somebody laying on the ground in front of car and drive 4 ft ahead and look at shafts and see if they spin

·
--------------
4,353 Posts
@para - just so you know, Sackman is a pretty sharp cookie when it come to wrenching.

BTW, would you be willing to change your Avatar?,,,,
it's kinda Creepy in a Gay sort of way.....

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This thread is getting so long I think you need to re-describe the problem and what you have beyond the shadow of a doubt eliminated.

For example, if your t-case is in 2WD mode AND your hubs are unlocked, the front shafts should not be spinning and they should not be an issue
This can be confirmed by somebody laying on the ground in front of car and drive 4 ft ahead and look at shafts and see if they spin
I for sure will update the first post to help whoever runs across this thread in the future. However, I'm still trying to find exactly what is causing this issue. Although that bracket being loose is definitely up on the radar now.

But why you would lay on the ground and have someone drive towards you? Sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen...

@para - just so you know, Sackman is a pretty sharp cookie when it come to wrenching.

BTW, would you be willing to change your Avatar?,,,,
it's kinda Creepy in a Gay sort of way.....
Appreciate the kind words Dragon! I've been around these trucks for quite some time now. I've seen a lot and can offer spot on diagnoses most of the time. But this one is definitely something I've never experienced before! But you're never too old to learn something new....

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
735 Posts
Found this.

However, I tightened it up and steering is still jacked up. But, could that have been it and now I need an alignment?

What a nightmare....
I was under the Bronco sometime ago and also found those bolts loose, I could also turn them with my hand as you could. These old girls need lots of attention and checking for loose nuts and bolts and worn out parts all over the place nowadays...
BTW I did not notice any strange steering actions going on before or real noticeable change after, just an FYI from an old guy here!
;)

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So after I found that bracket loose, I tightened it up. Steering was still wonky. However, I tightened it up with the wheels still to the left! So I straightened the wheels, loosened the bolts again and then tightened them back up. Now my steering is straight, doesn't pull. I've been towing a trailer for the past week with my truck and no issues. Going to attempt to drive it up north this weekend for the holiday. Praying for a safe trip!

I'm pretty sure that bracket was the issue. Makes perfect sense too as to why it would go left hard and right hard on it's own.

Still need to change out those bushings though. Will do that sometime soon in the near future.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts