Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 bronco eddie bauer ed. 4x4 fullsize with the 302. the frame on the side where the steering box has rusted out so the steering box is moving freely and going inside the frame and broke the bolts because of the slack , i was wondering if i can i get a machine shop to fab me up a plate a little larger hen the frame to box off the frame with the holes drilled for the steering box and just put the bolts through the good side and through the plate to hold the steering box to the frame or will it snap the bolts or still move freely? and ideas throw them at me i can do almost all of the work my self.

basicly my frame used to be a box like this [] now its like a c such as this ] and i was onna get the plate to do this l] kinda but you get the picture

·
Registered
517 Posts
It sould work just fine, given you have enough decent metal to weld to with that much rot. and where else is the rot if its that bad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually checked it and its not all that bad its just that one spot on the side where the steering box mounts against its wierd but once it rusted some it came loose a lil cause the washers came off and it had slack and kept banging the frame and finally after years of salty rds in md it crushed that side. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you think i need to weld it or just have that plate a lil larger then the frame and the bolts would hold the steering box to it up against the frame tight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you think i need to weld it or just have that plate a lil larger then the frame and the bolts would hold the steering box to it up against the frame tight

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I am not misstaken... The part of the frame where the steering box rests is stamped to fit the shape of the steering box So that it cradles it As well as give it the right angle to match the steering shaft.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh yeah, weld it in place. Do not rely on pressure and friction to keep that plate in position.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
pull off the steering box, i bet you will find the frame cracked. What happens is one of the bolts/rivits loosens up and lets the steering box bend the frame, results in cracks.

Search for frame cracks, steering box frame, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for the info, i actually pulled the box off the frame and found that it is only a crack behind it it looked so much worse when i couldnt see anythin lol. you would think it would have been the opposite. so yeah i am sending it down to this shop frame right who said they would weld it back and the crossmember to the frame for around 300 so i guess it all worked out. take care and thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts