Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is pretty much my first post so if i sound like an idiot...im using that as an exuse. Anyways, for the last few weeks my Bronco has had some serious steering issues, accompanied by a metallic grinding noise coming from the steering wheel. The steering was very sticky and wouldnt center back after a turn and whenever i made a turn it would resist steering and then suddenly give way, making for some exciting moments. So i read some posts, and figured the problem for the steering might be the box or pump. I replaced the pump first due to $. No improvement except for less noise. I still had the horrible noise in my steering wheel so i decided to check that out. The only other thing i got from the posts was that there was something called a clock spring. So i took apart my steering wheel and realized that a clock spring isnt actually a spring:twak Oh great. But with the steering wheel off i decided to investigate further and found an actual spring on the steering column that was pretty dirty and rusty. I turned the wheel and voila! Thats where the noise was coming from. So i WD40d it and the noise was gone, along with my sticky steering! I guess the spring was catching the column during turns and then releasing, making for the erratic driving. I just wanted to post this little message in case anyone else was having the same problem. Not every problem in the steering wheel has to do with the clock spring:twotu:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dont think i did, when i took it apart the whole thing went everywhere though. Its a good thing the actual unit has little instructions on how to recoil it :duh

1 - 2 of 2 Posts