Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise.

I'm having a problem with the steering on my 78 bronco. When I turn the wheel there is a lot of play in the steering. Ok, that was an understatement, at least a 1/4 of a turn of the steering wheel is non responsive. I can feel something like a gear or somthing missing. (kinda like using an adjustable wrench on a stripped bolt). Is the entire steering gear box shot? Could it be the Rag joint? I just don't want to spend the money on the wrong thing. It seems lately like the whole truck is having issues all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Diagnosis first. Have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth and start watching what moves and what doesn't. Does it have tilt wheel? Could be the small nut and bolt on the top side U-joint of the steering column. Does the body move but the wheels don't turn? Could be track rod bushings bad. Could be gearbox, could be rag joint. You have to diagnose it first.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diagnosis first. Have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth and start watching what moves and what doesn't. Does it have tilt wheel? Could be the small nut and bolt on the top side U-joint of the steering column. Does the body move but the wheels don't turn? Could be track rod bushings bad. Could be gearbox, could be rag joint. You have to diagnose it first.
Non tilt wheel, shaft moves fine, u joint in shaft has a little play but not much, rag joint seems to be working but the pitman arm barely moves. there is a lot of slop in the entire thing

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what I figured. It's about a half turn on the shaft to about a 64th of a revolution on the arm. How hard is it to rebuild the box? do I need any special tools or anything? I haven't done one of these before. I have a used one lined up for $90 but don't know if it's any good

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
They're fairly easy to rebuild. With the basic rebuild kit you'll need tools like snap ring pliers, punchs, and a torque wrench for preloading/adjusting center adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts