Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did alittle off road when hunting for quail when coming back from the trip the steering was harder to turn then normal and now acouple of days later now it getting hard to turn and when i turn the steering wheel it will slip alittle then grab again.Also to let your guys now i replaced the power steering pump already about 4 months ago do you guys have eny idea what could be the problem maybe steering box?

·
Registered
561 Posts
So you already have a sag pump on your rig... and the fluid level is good?? What about the color? Did you use ATF or power stearing fluid when you did the swap out...

I recently started and had to put back in my old POS pump. I drained it completely and replaced the fluid with power steering fluid. The other day I had a similar experiance after maxing out the wheel to the right. I felt like the steering box was fighting me to turn... then all of a sudden at one point it just jumped on me, almost sent me into the next lane. The thing is after that "jump" it is fine again. Truck goes straight, no pulling and turns as good as it did before the pump removal. My guess was air in the system

I would jack up the front end and cycle threw the turning radius and see if you can force out any air. Good luck.:rockon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used power steering fluid and the fluid is a nice red color and marking full on dip stick what you discribing is what happening to me but it happens in both directions ill try the cycling it when i get home would it be ok if i leave the truck on the ground cause i dont really have enything to lift the hole front end off the floor.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
it would make it easier on the pump if you could get some weight off the ground.

Does the fluid smell burnt at all?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the fluid smells good that's one of the thing my dad told me to check first. And all i have is a piston jack for the truck right now to lift one side

1 - 5 of 5 Posts