Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering isn't severly crazy, but from time to time, it'll remind you that the loosness is there.

So, I am checking out my loose steering and it seems that all of the linkages are decent, so I'm bought on the fact that my gear box is nearly dead, so I'm going to get myself a rebuild kit from JBG (Item # 22810) in hopes to solve that problem. It has pictures so I should do ok with that. I'm assuming that would be the correct move, since I'll gain knowledge and save money. (That is the right thing to purchase, right?)

Also, from the looks of my rag joint (Look below), I would assume it too needs some replacing so would this be an absolute buy or could one fab up such a joint (I read in google that someone has done this but never went into detail so I'm skeptical)? $35 isn't a big deal but saving money is saving money if spending isn't needed.
The U-joint of the shaft is loose as well, and I'm noticing a few areas that sell just that section of the shaft, but from a flashlight's point of veiw, I don't see anyway to remove it from the lower shaft. Would the whole shaft need replacing (Please say no.) or is cutting involved?

Anyway, I can turn the lower shaft about 1/4 turns each way, so I imagine something's not right.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information Steve. From the looks of it, it seems the shaft has been welded together, I dunno if this is from factory or if the PO played with it..

I ended up taking the shaft off by the two bolts holding it to the rag joint because I couldn't get that little bolt to move. Pulled out the steering gear (Gonna rebulid it anyway) and used a hammer and wrench to remove it. Peice of cake.

Why does my joint from the pic above look different from the one here? Is it simply because you have to peice the parts together?

Also, the shaft to which I removed the rag joint from doesn't have splines as deep as I would have figured. Pretty much looks like a shaft with lines drawn on it. If this is stripped, I take it it won't come with the rebuild kit?

Thanks again

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83 said:
I doubt a rebuild kit for a steering gear box comes with a new input shaft. Why not use a reman with LLT warranty?
Poor, and I wanted to gain intell on everything about my truck and I figure rebuilding instead of replacing is the best way to learn. Plus it's cheaper, heh.

I'll probably go that route since I can't find anything on the shaft. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts