Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 75 f100 truck about 6 months ago or more and the other day I was trying to eliminate the play out of my steering and found it was coming from loose bolts at the rag joint(I guess I've been driving it everyday and wheeling on weekends with those bolts finger tight since I got it).So I tightened the bolts without paying attention that the rag joint had been replaced before.That took care of the play but the steering got harder to turn like it was binding but I ran out of time so I drove it to work anyways by the time I got home the play came back.I figured the bolts came loose but when I checked they where tight but the u-joint by the firewall had alot of play now.I took a closer look and found the rag joint was installed wrong the person bolted the steering shaft straight to the gear box flange with the rag joint in between like a spacer causing the binding at least thats what i was told.I was told the gear box should bolt to two of the four holes in the rag joint with the pin looking studs and the shaft should bolt to the other two holes of the rag joint using bolts.Once I did that the binding went away but the U-joint still has play and I was wondering if I could change that U-joint because I don't see any snap rings and couldn't find a replacment U-joint at autozone.com or do I have to change the whole shaft.I want to stay as cheap as possible I dont want to install a double u-joint set up or any thing just stay stock. I dont have a body lift to mess with the angle of the steering shaft and I have power steering with 35" tires

WHOLE SHAFT ASSEMBLY FROM FIREWALL TO GEARBOX AFTER I CHANGED HOW THE RAG JOINT WAS BOLTED.RAG JOINT ON LEFT U-JOINT ON RIGHT

HERE IS THE U-JOINT NO SNAP RINGS ON THE OUTSIDE MAYBE ON THE INSIDE

HERE'S THE RAG JOINT IS THIS RIGHT

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome to my nightmare - my rag joint was fine, it was the U-joint that was loose - the cross is held to the two Us by some plastic bushings, those wear out and causes the slop. I fixed mine pretty much accidentally - had some small-block Chevy freeze plugs laying around that I never needed for my old truck, one of them turned out to be exact size as to fit in place of the bushing that was bad. You should look for those bushings, replacing them will take care of the slop in the U-joint, but I have no idea where you can get them new.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you saying the caps(that would hold the needle bearings in a u-joint that are in the shafts) are plastic

·
Registered
712 Posts
The caps/bushings are plastic, which is why they develop the slop. They somehow clip in there, I pried mine out with a small pocket knife. There's no needle bearings in that U-joint, that's what the plastic caps/bushings are for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I think I found something that caused the bushings to wear even faster.My master cylinder is starting to leak and its dripping right onto the u-joint and if it has plastic bushings then thats probably not good.I think I found a shaft to eliminate the rag joint and it has real u-joints with needle bearings just have to see if it is too long and shorten if it is but it is off a kenworth diesel so should be plenty strong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts