Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New trac bar bushings and raidus arm bushings did not fix the "death wobble", but when I changed the tires the shake went away but there is about 6" of play in the steering wheel. When I bought this the guy gave me a steering stabilizer that he said was on it when he got it but he bent it while off-roading so he took it off. Question: do these come stock with this part? Do I need it? Can I just call up a 4X4 shop and order one or do I need to use parts of this also? Also in the pic you can see that the bushings on what I understand to be the "sway bar end link" are thrashed... so could that cause this? Sorry so many questions... just learning. Thanks for all the help. Donk:beer

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Yes, they come stock with a steering stabilizer. A steering stabilizer won't *fix* 6" of play in the wheel. It will help tighten it up a bit but it sounds more like you need a gearbox. If you have no stabilizer on there put 1 on and it will help with your death wobble. There are aftermarket shocks that come with a complete kit to put 1 on or you can reuse the OE brackets with a new shock.

Sway bar link kits, you need new bushings. They are available at most auto parts stores. They will not contribute to death wobble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I put different tires on it, and like I said the death wobble was gone... well... drive it around town for the afternoon and then all of the sudden.. death wobble back. Steering wheel jerked out of my hand it was shaking so badly and nearly hit a parked car. What is going on here??? What would be causing this?

·
Registered
469 Posts
1st thing I would look at is your track bar bushing. The factory rubber bushing is probably worn if its even there anymore at all. I checked mine and found it was basically GONE! I replaced it and it drives/steers better than ever. Tthis was the last thing I fixed after replacing tie rod ends, radius arm bushings etc and it made more improvement than all the other fixes combined. I would replaced the box only after you have checked everything else!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nevermind....i just saw your post about the track bar bushing. You should do a search on the tech forum at projectbronco.com. They have discussed the dreaded death wobble many times. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts