Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Bronco 302 AOD Tilt Steering column stock suspension.

The steering has acouple of issues, and a couple of things that need adressed for other modifications down the road.

First let me adress the issues.
Inside the cab
1: The steering column was very abused by the po. The steering wheel moves up and to the left when locked into any position. When I say it moves up, I mean way up to almost touching the top of the dash board when locked in the lowest position.
2: the ignition switch wont stay adjusted properly.
3: The Shift indicator wire was cut where it attatches to the steering column.
4: Play in the steering wheel u-joint
5: Steering wheel center assembly torn off (the horn button along with the cruise control buttons)
Moving under the hood
6: u-joint coupler excessive play
7: Rag joint dryrotted and typical deterioration.
8: Steering gearbox leaks and has play in the shaft.
9:leaking power steering lines.
10: power steering pump whines and leaks
11: Tierod ends have a lot of play
12: Excessive play in the ball joints
13: All bushings show signs of wear and thier age.

Modifications

A: Redhead steeringbox.
B: Saginaw Powersteering Pump Swap
C: Remote Powersteering Reservoir.
D: Auxillary transmission cooler
E: tie Powersteering into radior Transmission cooler
F: Hydro boost.
I'll add more here

A lot of this stuff is no brainer... bushings, tierods, ball joints, and such I know where to get, and replace...
Here is where the questions come in.
Im adding a hydraulic winch that I installed several years ago on my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Magnum. its plumbed into a Saginaw power steering pump (stock dodge pump that has been modified into a high flow high pressure pump). The install kit that came with my winch was for a GM diesel truck, but I found that the highpressure hose worked from the pump to the winch, from there the kit ran another high pressure hose back to the gearbox input side. Then return line stayed the oem Dodge return line.
I need to know if the Ford Saginaw PS Pump uses the same size and thread fitting as the Dodge and GM Saginaw pumps?

Next Question
Redhead Steering Gearbox: I see every one using the 2 bolt, why arent people upgrading to the 4 bolt? Does the hydroboost port supply full psi and flow rate as the pump? If So can I have this port tapped to what ever Spec I need for the winch install?

The most important question:
Im going to get a complete steering column to replace my worn out one with, I would like to install radio control buttons, but I dont want an airbag. And Im thinking I want to relocate my transmission shifter to the floor temporarily while waiting for a 5 speed to pop up (another question for another time). So would it be better to look for a 93-97 steering column out of a F series truck with tilt wheel and manual transmission, or look for one out of a 82-91 pickup/bronco.

One last note:
The whole interior from infront of the back seat forward to the winshield and from the floor to the roof is getting custom built some time in the near future. I have plans for a custom overhead console, custom center Console, and custom dash. I alread installed front seats out of a 99 or 2000 Ford F250, but I dont like how tall they make me sit a long with the slide and fold feature that was present on my 1989. I have already started collecting parts for my custom interior (mostly electronic gadgets like rocker switches, lights, CB, fuse and relay boxes, and wire), still need lots of glass mat, resin, guages, stereo and NEW front SEATS.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh Mod C: I havent found a good scource for an remote mount powersteering reservoir that holds between 1 and 2 quarts of fluid. Also doing this mod, I would like to find a pump that doesnt have a built in reservoir if its at all possible.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE="broncosarge77, post: 7262470, member: 12548"
Borgenson shaft?
[/QUOTE]
Thats what im thinking will be the best solution to get rid of the rag joint, but that only fixes the intermidiate shaft.

My biggest concerns are with the Steering gear box port fitting sizes, what the pressure of the hydroboost port on the redhead gear box. A Saginaw pump that uses a remote mounted reservoir that will still fit in the E-sieries PSP bracket. A Remote Reservoir that holds more than 1 quart of ATF. And then the Steering Column from steering wheel to the Borgenson shaf.

I am probably going to start with the steering column, then gear box and ps pump at the same time, fallowed by the front end bushings last. The steering column is the biggest issue, and almost leaves the Bronco undrivable in its condition. I am affraid that im going to over correct on a slippery left hand turn.

·
Super Moderator
23,352 Posts
Yo Slim,
AOD indicator; the cable is broken or disconnected, if you have to change it, it is not too difficult a job.
"... Cluster Removal Tips in a 90
Sometimes the plastic tubing that the small wire runs through cracks. Remove the 4 screws in the white plastic, just outside the lens, they're T20. Pull bezels from around the cluster & A/C controls You should see the screws holding them in. Remove them. You might have to remove the wheel, &/or lower the column.

If you remove the 4 screws from the HVAC panel, you'll be able to turn it to release the wiring & cables. The cable sleeves clip to the white frame, and when they're released, you can unhook the cable ends from the levers. Then remove speedometer cable that will prevent you from pulling the cluster out far enough to get at the connectors. Look under the Bronco & make sure all the slack is pushed forward, then pull it up by the brake pedal & try again at pulling the cluster out. To release the speedo cable from the cluster, push the large white plastic collar down, then back ...there is a small wire loop on the back of the collar on the steering column. Slip it off of the peg it's on, and use a nut driver to remover the retainer bolt. It should be fairly obvious when you look at it with the column shroud off. Adjusting it is a bit trickier. There is a method in the Haynes manual on how to adjust it. Btw, The speedometer cable end locks automatically when you push it into the back of the speedo. Look at them while it's apart & you'll unnerstand..." by Aidan
¤
In LMC Catalog Page 36 LMC Part # 49-6928 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSY 1 REQ $99.95
@ Truck Parts and Truck Accessories call to cofirm correct transmission
They used to carry;
AOD LMC Part # 49-6303 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSEMBLY 1 REQ $49.95 Each
C6 LMC Part # 49-6299 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSY 1 REQ $34.95 Each

Ron wote, "Mine broke a couple years ago. I replaced the cable with 80# fishing line. Works great."
¤

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Yo, ports on the gearbox are both 5/16 inverted flare. Inlet threads are 1/2-20 and the outlet is 9/16-18.

Some GM Vans came with a Type I saginaw and a remote reservoir. Some Astro vans had saginaw steering and hydroboost. All Type II saginaws were remote reservoirs.

Here are some thread I used for the sag swap and will be using with my hydroboost setup.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/some-hydroboost-progress-pic-linx.185584/

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/power-steering-pressure-port-fitting-size.233225/

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/sag-pump-4-bolt-1-ton-steering-gear.419865/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo Slim,
AOD indicator; the cable is broken or disconnected, if you have to change it, it is not too difficult a job.
"... Cluster Removal Tips in a 90
Sometimes the plastic tubing that the small wire runs through cracks. Remove the 4 screws in the white plastic, just outside the lens, they're T20. Pull bezels from around the cluster & A/C controls You should see the screws holding them in. Remove them. You might have to remove the wheel, &/or lower the column.

If you remove the 4 screws from the HVAC panel, you'll be able to turn it to release the wiring & cables. The cable sleeves clip to the white frame, and when they're released, you can unhook the cable ends from the levers. Then remove speedometer cable that will prevent you from pulling the cluster out far enough to get at the connectors. Look under the Bronco & make sure all the slack is pushed forward, then pull it up by the brake pedal & try again at pulling the cluster out. To release the speedo cable from the cluster, push the large white plastic collar down, then back ...there is a small wire loop on the back of the collar on the steering column. Slip it off of the peg it's on, and use a nut driver to remover the retainer bolt. It should be fairly obvious when you look at it with the column shroud off. Adjusting it is a bit trickier. There is a method in the Haynes manual on how to adjust it. Btw, The speedometer cable end locks automatically when you push it into the back of the speedo. Look at them while it's apart & you'll unnerstand..." by Aidan
¤
In LMC Catalog Page 36 LMC Part # 49-6928 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSY 1 REQ $99.95
@ Truck Parts and Truck Accessories call to cofirm correct transmission
They used to carry;
AOD LMC Part # 49-6303 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSEMBLY 1 REQ $49.95 Each
C6 LMC Part # 49-6299 SHIFT INDICATOR ASSY 1 REQ $34.95 Each

Ron wote, "Mine broke a couple years ago. I replaced the cable with 80# fishing line. Works great."
¤
I understand how to replaceshift indicator assembly, I took it apart three times already to splice wire onto it to make a loop, only to have my splices fail. I just cant see paing 100 for a tiny spring and a piece of wire. Ill look at the fishing line trick.... wish I could find steel brqided fishing line lol.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you suspect your tilt function is failing? My tilt function failed and at any position other than its lowest, any sight pressure on the top of the wheel caused it to fall to bottom. I found the tilt pawl was only halfway pinned to the column. I have several pics of the disassembly that I can share if you think that’s the issue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I swapped a tilt column from a 94 F250 into my bronco. It had steering wheel cruise and no air bag. It was from a manual truck. Swap was so easy. But you will have an airbag light on if your Bronco had air bag from the factory. I just removed the bulb from the cluster.

As for the floor mounted auto shifter I had a 76 F250 with a C6. The previous owner put a B&M ratchet shifter on the floor. Fairly straightforward for the C6 but I don't know if it would work with your AOD. May want to give summit or Jegs a call and see if they offer something for the AOD to floor mount it.

Your floor pan cover should have a stamped "X" in it. You can cut the "X" out or find a manual cover which has the cutout already done. It's just a hand full of screws/bolts to remove the cover.

I haven't done anything with hydroboost, steering gear box, Saginaw swap or hydraulic winch so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet, Thank You!!!
You can. People who fish for fish with teeth like walleye and pike use it. It's called leader line. I've bought some before on a roll and made my own leaders. They even sell the little ferrule clamps to make loops in the end.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Fishing-Wire-Leaders/103868280.uts
When I was in Cabela's this summer I couldnt find it. And I was looking for it to start making my own leaders as well as fix the shift indicator.
Thanks for the info on the Saginaw system. Most of the information isn't pertinent to my install for several reasons, but the biggest is my pump puts out close to 15,000 psi and im scared to run an adapter fitting, or worse yet make my own hose. If this line fails, I WILL be standing next to it when she blows, remeber this is powering my winch.

My plumbing needs to be as fallows, from pump to Winch control valve input, out of the winch control valve to pressure side of gear box, out of gear box to cooler, from cooler to reservoir, from reservoir to filter, from filter back to pump. Or I can go from Hydroboost to winch control inlet, winch control outlet to Hydroboost. I then would add the reservoir and filter after the steering gear box on the low pressure side.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you suspect your tilt function is failing? My tilt function failed and at any position other than its lowest, any sight pressure on the top of the wheel caused it to fall to bottom. I found the tilt pawl was only halfway pinned to the column. I have several pics of the disassembly that I can share if you think that’s the issue.
I swapped a tilt column from a 94 F250 into my bronco. It had steering wheel cruise and no air bag. It was from a manual truck. Swap was so easy. But you will have an airbag light on if your Bronco had air bag from the factory. I just removed the bulb from the cluster.

As for the floor mounted auto shifter I had a 76 F250 with a C6. The previous owner put a B&M ratchet shifter on the floor. Fairly straightforward for the C6 but I don't know if it would work with your AOD. May want to give summit or Jegs a call and see if they offer something for the AOD to floor mount it.

Your floor pan cover should have a stamped "X" in it. You can cut the "X" out or find a manual cover which has the cutout already done. It's just a hand full of screws/bolts to remove the cover.

I haven't done anything with hydroboost, steering gear box, Saginaw swap or hydraulic winch so I can't help you there.
Tilt works fine, something is broken inside the column, allowing the whole column to move up and to the left...especially on left hand turns. also the ignition switch mounting threads are stripped beyond repair without welding, redrilling and tapping the holes. I have an 89, so no airbags. I am wanting to go way newer then 94 steering column. As for shifter im thinking a Lokar truck shifter (havent looked to see if they have one for the AOD or not, but might be a moot point any ways).

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could always get hydraulic hoses made with whatever ends you need. They may be more expensive that way but it would eliminate the guess work and being hydraulic hoses you could also make sure they have the psi rating you need.

I did that on my 76 HIGHBOY for the hydraulic ram assist steering. Napa made them. Took the old ones in and two days later I picked up the brand new ones. All you really need is the correct ends and the length for them to make them from scratch. At least that what they told me at that NAPA store

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not sure what transmission it was but as younger I drove a early 90’s F350 tow truck, 5 speed with a PTO on the transmission and a turn knob to bring up the throttle. If I were to go hydraulic for a winch is go that route. My 5th wheel puller 86 F 350 is getting a new steering column because it’s warm to the point you can rock it up and down no matter what position it’s filter is in. Po had to have been using it to hoist himself in. It will not be a tilt wheel guaranteed.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Not sure what transmission it was but as younger I drove a early 90’s F350 tow truck, 5 speed with a PTO on the transmission and a turn knob to bring up the throttle. If I were to go hydraulic for a winch is go that route. My 5th wheel puller 86 F 350 is getting a new steering column because it’s warm to the point you can rock it up and down no matter what position it’s filter is in. Po had to have been using it to hoist himself in. It will not be a tilt wheel guaranteed.
That would be a zf5.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Sweet, Thank You!!!

When I was in Cabela's this summer I couldnt find it. And I was looking for it to start making my own leaders as well as fix the shift indicator.
Thanks for the info on the Saginaw system. Most of the information isn't pertinent to my install for several reasons, but the biggest is my pump puts out close to 15,000 psi and im scared to run an adapter fitting, or worse yet make my own hose. If this line fails, I WILL be standing next to it when she blows, remeber this is powering my winch.

My plumbing needs to be as fallows, from pump to Winch control valve input, out of the winch control valve to pressure side of gear box, out of gear box to cooler, from cooler to reservoir, from reservoir to filter, from filter back to pump. Or I can go from Hydroboost to winch control inlet, winch control outlet to Hydroboost. I then would add the reservoir and filter after the steering gear box on the low pressure side.
15 thousand psi!? Holy FOCK! Sure you didnt mean 1500? One of those threads is about HB...

What adapter are you referencing?

I ran all -6 AN PTFE Power Steering line from Russel. All steel fittings with the special 16mm fitting for the pump from keyser. Rated to 2000 psi.

Mine is plumbed with a cooler in the return line.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The most important question:
Im going to get a complete steering column to replace my worn out one with, I would like to install radio control buttons, but I dont want an airbag. And Im thinking I want to relocate my transmission shifter to the floor temporarily while waiting for a 5 speed to pop up (another question for another time). So would it be better to look for a 93-97 steering column out of a F series truck with tilt wheel and manual transmission, or look for one out of a 82-91 pickup/Bronco
My statement about the 94 tilt column was based on two things:

1) you mentioned either 82-91 or a 93-97
2) since I'm not familiar with the 97+ F series I am only guessing they all had airbags.

While I'm sure you can remove the airbag from a 97+ wheel I don't know what is involved or how safe the wheel would be in the event of an accident.

For simplicity sake any 92+ Non airbag, tilt column from a manual truck would be a straight swap. Only issue is the lack of stereo controls.

As for swapping the column with one from a newer truck I'm sure it can be done as people have swapped the King ranch interior into their bronco. I just don't know what's involved with swapping the King ranch column and I don't think any of them are manual shift columns but I could be wrong.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
I just don't know what's involved with swapping the King ranch column and I don't think any of them are manual shift columns but I could be wrong.
You can find f250/350 with a manual trans through 2010. 2008-2010 had good radio controls in the wheel. The controls are available online, but you'll need to run some wires and get a module to tell the radio what the steering wheel buttons are saying. Airbags are removable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can find f250/350 with a manual trans through 2010. 2008-2010 had good radio controls in the wheel. The controls are available online, but you'll need to run some wires and get a module to tell the radio what the steering wheel buttons are saying. Airbags are removable.
King ranch had manual transmission? If so I learned something new today.

I know there are manual transmission after 97 but wasn't aware of King ranch manual trucks.

Removing the airbag is easy as long as safety precautions are followed. I just don't know if the lack of an airbag in a wheel originally equiped with an air is safe. I'm not an engineer or familiar with 98+ columns.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
15 thousand psi!? Holy FOCK! Sure you didnt mean 1500? One of those threads is about HB...

What adapter are you referencing?

I ran all -6 AN PTFE Power Steering line from Russel. All steel fittings with the special 16mm fitting for the pump from keyser. Rated to 2000 psi.

Mine is plumbed with a cooler in the return line.
I meant 1500 continous while running my winch, and I dont remeber what the static pressure. I modded my pump on my ram several years a go, so Im probably goingto stick with it. just find a housing off of a astro van then, and then... find a reservoir with enough capacity for my winch. I would like to double the system holding capasity, the winch holds almost 2 quarts of atf by itself. This leads to another question.... will the redhead hold up to Dex iv?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts