Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Pulled all the old stuff out without breaking a seal or making a mess. I used 2x4 and sandbags at various spots in the engine bay to leap frog the pump over the box over the pump... up and up and over the front grille to the bumper then floor. Fun for a guy with just 2 hands. Cleaned up the frame area real good and didn't seen any cracking from the outside of the frame rail (inside is still hard to see, but I'm calling GTG!).

The new pump is in, It was a pain, but I made it worse by "trimming" the tension bar in the bracket kit that does not fit (Need a 3" tension bar not a 6" tension bar). Went with a flat steel fabbed bracket. It looks simple, but it was a good bit of work for this computer nerd. I drove ALL over town and looked for another Tension rod and heim joint and all was a no go.

I also pulled the low pressure side off the old box, cleaned it up and bent the tube to point more to the inlet of the sag pump. That helped a LOT. Cleaned up the replacement box some more and dropped it in. Everything is tight - ready to fill and bleed and see how that goes.

The bad news is - after I got the old box out I compared the replacement one - side by side on the concrete, both unhindered by any linkages and such... The feel the same to me, not much difference in play that I can tell. If I had to do over again, I would isolate the box with no drag link AND remove the rag joint to check the play. I was so glad to just get it in and buttoned up, I haven't checked for slop yet.

My dads 99 ranger went out, and I got to help bleed a clutch on a vette this weekend. Lot of fun in the miata, but I gotta get this truck back up by warm weather that is coming!

Pics to come.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
DONE SON! - Drives sooooo….. much better.
So the past couple days I have been trying to bleed this new pump and having issues. I filled it up, jacked it up, turned the wheels back and forth a bunch of times ~20 maybe added a little more fluid. Figured I was good so Fired it up and ran it for about 30 secs and cut it off to check fluid. It was fubar. all foamy, looked like the foam that washes up on the beach. let it all settle, put some more in, then fire it up again and left and right again, constantly checking the fluid level. With the hood open and standing in the open door rail you can see the top of the pump, but only if it's overflowing, you can't see inside it to see the air bubbles and such. I was again doing this all alone.

So it finally seemed settled, so I dropped it down and noticed no PS at all. I figured it would kick in soon. I also figured I would have no real problem driving this beast even without PS, caus you know, I'm a dude and all. Pffttt. what a joke, I about pulled my elbow out of socket tryitng to navigate out the garage without hitting wifey car. Got it backed it out and one right hand turn down the street 40yds and stopped to check. Over flowed, foamy. I shut it off and waited and filled it again. Dejected and back to the house 40 yds and 1 right hand turn away.

Leaks! The HP hose was leaking on both connector ends. Make sure you get the line on the box GOOD and Tight before putting it in, because it is a major pain to get at that nut when installed. Torqued both of them down good, but will keep a watch. Which reminds me to ask you guys;

Should I use Teflon tape on these fittings? It seems like the PS fluid would eat that away and clog so I skipped it.

Yesterday after work, back to it. Jacked it up, filled, L&R about 20 times. Crank truck, fill, L&R, all by myself and such... Dropped it, and IMMEDIATELY noticed a nice smooth night and day difference! YES! this is what you guys have been talking about, I get it now. I backed out and around the culdasack as smooth as silk. Checked fluid again and cruised the neighborhood splattered with giggles and rebel yells. There is still play in the steering which I believe to be the shaft. but there is less um... how do I say .. "Less KA-CHUNK"... it starts steering way sooner and smoother than the old setup - and I believe the old PS box is mostly good, which leaves only the pump. I'm gonna run it around the neighborhood some and keep checking things over before venturing out. I've been very careful to stay slow in the test drives.

I had 2 quarts of fluid and used ~1.5 qts total with all the bleeding/drips and leaks.
I think the better way to do it would be to prime the hose and the pump. I didn't want to do this in my garage or I would have gone that route.
now that the PS pump is quite, I think the next thing is squeaky clutch/linkage - I think the pilot is going out. yeah! More stuff to do..

Oh yeah, no more whine. Now that my

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Track Bar Bushings! that was about half of my problem. I wish I'd had an extra set of hands to yank the wheel while I watched. Local shop got it and the clutch linkage setup pretty good.
It still whines a little bit, do i still need to jack it up and bleed it again?
Drives so much better now.
Pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
More pics. the sandbag really helped getting in and out of the bay.

Attachments

41 - 44 of 44 Posts