Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see some installs of, other then stock steering wheels.
Grant, Momo, NRG, etc. Or other stock wheels too.
For those that have swapped.

I have a '92 so no air bag, and also I do not care about the Cruise Buttons or Horn. Likely last thing on a lot of people's list of things to change on these trucks, I get that. Mine has who knows what on it and over 225k miles of wear on it.

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good walk threw on that. Thanks for posting. Mine looks identical so same process.
That grant wheel is decent, Have similar one in my 78.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,918 Posts
Yo

To get this started; Installation, Grant in a 93; miesk5 Note, to pull the steering wheel in the late models, a 2-jaw puller is needed. There are no holes to thread in the usual bolts for a steering wheel puller, thnx to Dustball!
Source: by spivster (Joe S) at 1993 Ford Bronco grant steering wheel install pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
I hadn't seen that page before. '93 is the same as '92 with the ridges in the back of the steering wheel that ride around grooves in the hub to send a signal to CC/horn, right?

"horn cover pulled off" ... dang, talk about skimming over one of the more illustrative steps! I was under the impression, from other threads on the topic, that there aren't many options because nothing really matches up to that ridge & groove system. But, if the grooves portion is just a cover that can be pulled off and replaced by something more typical, that changes everything.

Any idea what hub spivster used? I don't think I ever ran across a Grant hub specific to the vehicle and year.

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
Yo,
Spiv hasn't logged in here in a few years. But try PMing him. Doubt that it will go through, but what the heck, right?
See Section 13-06: Horn in
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual, partial
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Horn Switch @ https://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stjsd60l.htm

I have a 96 son with no speed control, so I can't get in nitty gritty.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yo,
Spiv hasn't logged in here in a few years. But try PMing him. Doubt that it will go through, but what the heck, right?
Worth a try...

See Section 13-06: Horn in
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual, partial
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Horn Switch @ https://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stjsd60l.htm
That just shows removal of the horn/CC cover (which is exceptionally easy compared to airbag equipped vehicles), and pulling the wheel. Looking back at spivster's write-up, the picture titled "horn cover pulled off" is actually above the one of the hub removed, so that sort of matches what you directed me to. SuperMotor's captioning threw me off, with it looking like it's for the following pic, not the preceding one. The correct caption is "wheel off with new hub in place," so that pic is of the new hub, not what the stock setup looks like with the hub removed.

Is there a thread here where you first ran across spivster's mod that might contain more background info? All I've found is your references to his setup. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yo fodder,
I have more Grant installs in non- air bag Broncos in my site @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - Steering Wheel
Thanks, but those are all for earlier and later years. I think it's just '92-93 that uses that funky sliding contacts setup. Either nothing matches those years or it's mis-labeled... A MOMO hub pops up as fitting '92 Broncos, but only like '82 and earlier everything else.

Spivster's pics are the only indication I've found that the sliding contacts setup can be swapped out in favor of a standard hub. For all I know, he changed the whole steering column and forget to mention it. :)

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a grant on the way, along with an adapter. Will update with how the install goes.
NRG also makes an adapter for these trucks, just as another option

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I got a grant on the way, along with an adapter. Will update with how the install goes.
NRG also makes an adapter for these trucks, just as another option
Part numbers?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: fodder

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Are you sure those fit? As in, confirmed by others, not just in a parts catalog?

I searched the Grant site previously and that (and the chrome or billet version) is the only item that shows as a match for '92, but the listing info doesn't inspire confidence. They appear to be a universal kit.

That NRG srk-161h shows as fitting '92-97 models, which doesn't sound great since that covers very different configurations, but then it also says "*No clockspring model," so maybe it's really just a '92-93 part. (Edit: I believe some of the commercial work trucks were airbag free and stuck with the no-clockspring setup through '97.) The pictures of its backside make me think it is indeed possible to remove the column side of the sliding contacts system and replace it with a more conventional hub, so maybe the Grant adapter works the same way and only needs the right spline pattern to fit.

If so, it's weird that removal of the sliding contacts hub isn't covered anywhere. I'd pull my wheel off to check, but I hate doing so needlessly because of the propensity for the shallow holes to strip from the puller. Stupid design.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will find out on the Grant one.
I also agree that the obs 96/97 f-250 would be just like my 92, no airbags and such.

I will be sure to post up what I find out. I should have my adapter next week.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,324 Posts
my last '90 had this one. pretty sure @MUD E1 installed it but all his stuff's long lost. :shrug
I dug it though. :thumbup

I'd love to get a functional one setup in the '95. :popc1:

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,811 Posts
You can remove the airbag wheel and clockspring, and install the F250+ wheel with the sliding contacts, it all swaps over. So i would imagine any wheel that fits a 92+ will fit yours, but you might need the short column harness from a non-airbag wheel to do it.

Info on the wheel swap in my '96:
DD/Beater Build! - Steering Wheel Swap

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good info in this thread, thanks for the replies ALL.
My wheel is suppose to be here today but the adapter will not be here until Monday. I do however have the metal with rubber over it adapter like in BikerPepe's pic in my 78. I think the local Orielly also has that one in stock. I may get impatient and see if I can make it work.
Just to clearify I am not sure on the NRG stuff. I do know that they are very reasonable on the phone. My father has one of their take off hubs on his cougar. He had to measure what he had and they verified a fitment based on that. So you maybe able to do that as well, if the hub swap to older items does not work.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
You can remove the airbag wheel and clockspring, and install the F250+ wheel with the sliding contacts, it all swaps over.
That sounds encouraging. In your pics, it looks like there are 3 bolts holding the clockspring in. Is the sliding contacts hub held in the same way? Wouldn't you guess it, I can't find any pics of that setup, and I never had reason to snap one of mine when I had the wheel off.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,811 Posts
Remove 3 gold screws to remove clockspring

bare column

floating pin assy from non-airbag column installed.

You can see in this pic the pins are attached via a threaded hole in the column. Its not one of the holes that holds the clockspring in place, but its there nonetheless. Ford used the same column in pretty much every truck 92-97 so lots of parts interchange.

This harness is most likely why some steering wheels 'dont fit' the airbag trucks. If i had to guess, they fit just fine, but you would need to delete the airbag, and install the floating pin assy from a non-airbag truck, which is probably against the law or something. Seems unlikely that aftermarket manufacturers can legally sell something that deletes an airbag.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the sliding pins, no fitment issues on my install. Work great, took couple hours. Most of that time was getting the stock wheel off.
Id have no problems buying the Grant parts again. Fit was good, looks good (at least I think) The horn still work. And I can go back to stock fairly easy too.
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7117554-post1383.html pics in my build thread

Reactions: fodder
1 - 20 of 30 Posts