Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have been following this site for about 3 years now and have started collecting parts for my sas. So far all i need is the Cage arms and a few small parts. I have started the steering arms but i cant remember the length from tre to tre and woundered if someone could give me some numbers. I am using the chevy tres over the knuckels and DOM tubing and weld in bungs. The axel and truck are at another shop but its about a half hour drive away. Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
yes it will be easier to measure for the steering with the axle under the truck. also if you want to save a few bucks and some time on the shipping, you can get the James Duff Arms. they are running $150 cheaper than cage and are essentially the same design (they were designed by the same guy that designed the age arms) you can look at my build thread to see them under my truck. :thumbup
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127980

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,007 Posts
I found its best to assemble the front on the vehicle and measure the steering from there.
This is the best idea IMO, as people tend to use different combinations of TREs, which could cause you to cut bars that are too long/short.

At the top of this page there is a thread dedicated to everyones' steering setups, and it lists what TREs they used, how long the bars are, etc. That should help.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I did what everyone else has suggested, measure on the truck.

I installed the TREs on both knuckles and screwed the weld in bungs exactly half way, then centered both knuckles so they were straight forward and measured for the length of the tie rod.

A word of caution with the weld in bungs. It is VERY easy to penetrate too far and melt into the inside of the bung. This will warp the threads and you will never get your TRE to thread into it. I consider myself a decent welder and I screwed up 2 of the 4 weld in bungs by penetrating too far. I am making no assumptions about your welding ability, just thought I'd warn you. Good luck and keep us posted with pics of the swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, i knew that would be the best way to do it but i was just hoping to get a few of the smaller things done at home. I dont have enough hydro at the garage to weld so i have to bring the stuff home. Broncoboy23, thanks for the tip on welding. I have been welding for about 4 years now, couldnt make a living at it but i can weld, lol. I will have pics up when i start putting stuff together.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts