Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a dirt bike carrier and instead of paying for a full hitch I was thinking about on of these. $15 at Harbor Freight. Not sure it will work because my stock step bumper has a slight curve on the end and some rivets across the back.

Im guessing in order to fit right it needs to mount up flat against the bottom of the bumper, it probably wouldnt be a good idea to use spacers/washers to clear the curve and rivets?

I could flip it and mount it on the top where its flat?

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it is just a bike and small trailer, why not just bolt a ball to the bumper? Should be fine for a relatively small load.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I had one of those flipped over and bolted to the top surface of the step in the bumper. Used it for my receiver mount spare tire carrier. I wouldn't use it for anything heavy though, especially with leverage such as a motorcycle on a carrier.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Save your money and buy a real hitch. JMO.
x2 but thats so funny I just bought one of those yesterday since they were $5 off normal price... I plan on welding mine up in a new front bumper eventually... if you do decide to do this, use grade 8 bolts and if you use spacers and only use a bolt on either side expect that to have some deflection when you add the weight of that carrier and bike, and that will bend the crap out of your bumper.. you would at least need three mounting points, the two side and one toward the back in the middle to prevent this... and use oversized washers on top.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Im just gonna have to pony-up the cash and get the real thing. I found one locally on Craigslist, new in box for $80.

Ill feel better with that on there anyways. Sometimes just the piece of mind is worth the extra $$.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
331 Posts
sweet...and meow you will be able to tow a bigger trailer with a bigger load should the need ever arise....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts