Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this site is awesome...

...thanks 89_outlaw for posting your manual to power window thread ... i was truely inspired.

the left-front (driver's) window has never worked since i bought this 1986 xlt back about 2 months ago. i can hear the motor turning, but the window just slides down whenever you lift it up...kinda bumping as it goes down. i've read around the site and believed it to be the regulator gear plugs (torque pins) that were bad. this weekend, i finally had a chance to find out for real (i had already removed the door panels by the time i remembered to start taking pictures...a few screws and tabs; not hard at all).

tools needed for project: drill and bit, ratchet and sockets, phillips-head screwdriver, hammer, eye protection

here's what i did (follow at your own risk):

first i disconnected the batery and then all wiring and clips/tabs associated with the power door accessories

becareful, after 21 years these things are like eggshells...

more to come...

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
next remove the arm rest support...1 bolt

okay, get your hammer and tap each of these 4 rivets...it doesn't take much. that top left one went flying into the inside of the door

drill out the rivet heads...be carefull not to go too far
(!! warning: when you drill out the last one the window will fall to the bottom of the door frame. be prepared to catch it !!)

more to come...

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in order to remove anything else, you'll have to remove the vent window. to do this, locate these two screws at the top of the door frame slant and unscrew them (be very careful not to round these off).

then you'll have to unbolt this bolt located above the rivets that were just drilled out

tilt the freed vent window back towards the door lock until you can't tilt anymore (don't force it). then turn 90 degrees and work the window and mount free from the frame

more to come...

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with the vent window removed the regulator arm can be removed from the window track and the window can be lifted from the door frame

the freed motor and assembly can be removed from the door frame

danger, keep out...??? :popc1:

more to come

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(lay paper down before you do this step...it gets kinda greasy) remove the motor from the the rest of the assembly

inspect the gear here...it looks fine. unsrew the one screw holding the cover to the gear housing

when i removed the cover, my suspicisions were almost solidified when i wiped the grease away and felt chunks

ah-ha!!! i was right...no gear plugs! there's supposed to be 3 cylindrical type things inside that triangle cavity

and here's some remnants...

more to come...

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rest of the gears looked good

so, i've read about the aggie-engineered-type replacements for these missing boogers, but call me old fashioned; the oem-similar 74410 help type replacements are on the way...so until then

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well these slick little regulator gear plugs came in this week...

guess i should go pick up some lithium grease for for the gearbox internals...

...what should i use for the external gear and regulator arm? the same?

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i left a little of the old grease on everything to "protect" it...so i finished cleaning the gears to get as much of the old grease off as possible.

i ended up choosing to go with the high-temp ep grease for the internals and the external regulator gears...i just figured why the hell not? it's lithium grease with an added bonus, right? ...i guess i'll be the test monkey. :drinkbud

so i lightly coated everything (protect yourself, this stuff causes cancer)

then i inserted the greased up gear plugs...

more to come.

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had to push fairly hard, but the regulator gear slid into place (i added a little grease to the cavity before inserting the gear)

i screwed the cover in place then reconnected the battery and motor wires to test run the gears...everything worked fine :chili:

i disconnected the motor wiring, then went to go disconnect the negative off the battery, and the f*ing wrench slipped out of my hand and landed on the positive terminal ( :doh0715: ) the sparks were flying!!! ..i had to run and grab a piece of wood to launch the wrench off the posts.

:stupid

more to come.

b_c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...so this is where i'm at:

i know i've read that 3/8" bolts and washers will do the trick, but that's not the way i want to go. the rivet gun and 1/4 inch rivets are in the mail...should get them by the weekend, hopefully.

...until then.

b_c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts