Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the 10.1" Joying in my '94's dash.
It took modifying of the LCD bracket assembly for the screen to fit.

Joying isn't ready for prime-time.
The LTE doesn't get all of the T-Mobile bands, so half the time I'm without reception.
The capacitive buttons on the screen are useless.
And Joying does not let you connect a Bluetooth remote control.

You can however wire in an aftermarket remote control that connects to the Joying's steering wheel control harness.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a PX5 double-DIN sized unit in my Sport Trac and love it. I'm toying with putting one in my '93 Bronco over the winter, but I am still trying to decide which size/unit I'd like to use. I've thought about hiding one of them under the dash. Hide the main part of the unit and use a longer ribbon cable to use the screen portion remotely on some type of tablet mount. As you can see, I'm going to have to think through this a bit, but I really like the idea of having the dash appear stock (with an old radio in the normal spot), but have the read deal tucked away safely and removable when needed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a PX5 double-DIN sized unit in my Sport Trac and love it. I'm toying with putting one in my '93 Bronco over the winter, but I am still trying to decide which size/unit I'd like to use. I've thought about hiding one of them under the dash. Hide the main part of the unit and use a longer ribbon cable to use the screen portion remotely on some type of tablet mount. As you can see, I'm going to have to think through this a bit, but I really like the idea of having the dash appear stock (with an old radio in the normal spot), but have the read deal tucked away safely and removable when needed.
The PX5 is older but has more options for customization, I think?
If you need info on how I fit my 10.1" into my '94 dash, which I believe is the same as your '93, then let me know.
I thought I had pix but they're all gone now.
I can take new ones and post up what I did, if you need to know.

This is the one I have installed:

I would love it if...
The firmware were more open-sourced for customization options.
The screen were a little brighter and had less sunlight reflections.
The LTE got all of T-Mobiles satellites rather than just half of them.
No lockdown on BlueTooth addons like remote control.
The screen had hard buttons instead of capacitive.
Turning volume up or down is a nightmare.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is the XDA-Forum link for my Joying.
Which at the time (and maybe still?) was the highest-end, newest unit 10.1" unit that works in the Bronco dash (with mods to the LCD brackets)...

·
Registered
711 Posts
you know ive never found an advantage to having a screen like that other than it looks pretty. i decent bluetooth unit and my phone is all ive ever needed in years. i never use the navigation on anything else and all my mp3 collection is on there so. ive thought about loosing the radio all together since all i use is my sirius unit and phone. i never use the am fm portion. i havent played a cd or dvd in 10 years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
@CZ Eddie here is the best route for rooting your unit. My PX5 from 2018 doesn't work with this method, so I'm holding out for future ways to really take control of the unit.

In the meantime, I have my setup pretty well sorted in my Sport Trac and really love all it does for me. Anyway, depending on your unit's specs, you may be able to use the rooting method above and then the sky is the limit...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks, I had mine rooted before I ever even installed it in the Bronco!
It's the firmware that is jacked up, locked down. Root fixes a lot of issues but not everything.

Went out and took a couple quick picks of my Android 10.1".
I'm not done with the wiring. I plan to install a GPS/WiFi/LTE antenna on the roof for it.
So please ignore the wires under the dash and how some parts are not installed.
Like the long bezel trim on the right side of dash. I have it, just haven't put it back on yet.
I didn't have to modify the Bronco at all to install the Joying.
But I did have to mod the Joying.

IMG_20191114_105706.jpg
IMG_20191114_105713.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey guys, does Joying play well with ios 13? I like the fact that the screen and the reciever are two separate units, so I can mount the huge screen in my custom overhead console, and fold it up out of my way when not needed. Or remote mount the screen on a ram mount . But I need ios support since all my devices are ios.

·
Registered
141 Posts
These guys did the iPad install:
Those are cool, but I can build my own Tablet mount, still would need a new radio for ios integration. I like the Joying units because they have remote head units, wich would equal less clutter in my custom dash. Otherwise, yes a tablet is going in along with a 2 DIN head unit with apple carplay.

·
Registered
141 Posts
These guys did the iPad install:
Those are cool, but I can build my own Tablet mount, still would need a new radio for ios integration. I like the Joying units because they have remote head units, wich would equal less clutter in my custom dash. Otherwise, yes a tablet is going in along with a 2 DIN head unit with apple carplay.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just watched a YouTube video last night on the Joying 4g/64g 10.1 Universal HU with Android 8.1.0. Joying now supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (using built in Zlink)

SKU: EU-JY-UO134N4GS-H
Ship From: EU Warehouse
CPU: CPU:Intel Airmont eight-core 1.8GHz SC9853i
Ram:LPDDR4 4GB Rom:Samsung 64GB
1). 10.1 Inch HD 1280*720 2Din Radio with detachable Front Panel(Size 255*155mm)
2). Support your car OEM Car Steering Wheel Control, DAB+, DVR, Backup Camera,OBD2
3). Support Navigation,Pre-installed Google Maps app, Support Sygic,TomTom,Waze,etc
4). Support Bluetooth(iPhone/Android phone hards-free call and bluetooth music), Wifi
5). Support iPhone Zlink and Android Auto with voice command to make phone calls, running navigation maps, listen to music and access to messages. Support Wireless Carplay.
6). It comes with 4G SIM Card Slot, built-in DSP, support SPDIF Digital Audio output.
Note: This is a pre-sale product, will ship you about 4th Nov - 8th Nov

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looks like the same specs as mine.
Watch out though, as I mentioned earlier, that LTE SIM card only gets half of the T-Mobile satellites.
Rumor has it you can ask them for a specific USA modem, but I can't confirm that.
I bought mine from their Amazon USA store where it frequently goes on discount, so I'm pissed it doesn't work properly in the USA for any GSM provider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts