Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a known good after market cd player in my '95 F-150 today and I'm having an issue. Ever since I got this truck I noticed that when I started the truck that I would get a quick blip out of the driver side door speaker. Does it everytime, then the radio comes on and everything works like it should. Today I put the new deck in and at first I got no sound. I disconnected the wiring kit from the factory radio plug in the truck and plugged it back in. It started working great when I did that. I turned everything else off to finish the install and when I was done I had no sound again. Everything lights up like it should, but no sound, not even a buzz. Pull it all out again and figured out that if the radio was turned off for more than a minute that I would lose my sound. If I turned off power for less than a minute it would still work. WTF is going on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you replace the speakers also, or just the deck? If you didn't use a plug & play harness, and wired the new harness in yourself, verify that the remote wire is connected correctly, also you might want to power it up and hook a speaker to it yourself to be sure that the problem is not with the deck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the speakers also, or just the deck? If you didn't use a plug & play harness, and wired the new harness in yourself, verify that the remote wire is connected correctly, also you might want to power it up and hook a speaker to it yourself to be sure that the problem is not with the deck.
Did not mess w/ factory speakers, just the deck. Did use the plug and play. The deck worked fine in my brothers car before I got it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could have a shorted speaker wire, which could cause an aftermarket radio to shut down in order to protect its internals.

Not sure what kind of tools you have handy (multimeter?) to test. I'd like to know the continuity and impedance of that drivers front speaker. Are the speakers original equipment?

Your problem is tricky to troubleshoot online. One thing to try, which wouldn't hurt even if it wasn't the issue, would be to remove the aftermarket radio's ground wire from the plug/play harness and ground directly to chassis in the metal of the dashboard framework. Poor/lost grounds cause all kinds of havoc in 12V audio, so it's worth a look.

Just sort of taking stabs at things, hope any of it can help you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm, well then I've got nothin for ya. It was worth a shot though.
BTW, when you get this figured out, you might want to consider some new speakers, when I put a new deck in my 95 it cranked, but blew both front speakers in like 2 weeks. just a thought

sorry I couldn't help

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could have a shorted speaker wire, which could cause an aftermarket radio to shut down in order to protect its internals.

Not sure what kind of tools you have handy (multimeter?) to test. I'd like to know the continuity and impedance of that drivers front speaker. Are the speakers original equipment?

Your problem is tricky to troubleshoot online. One thing to try, which wouldn't hurt even if it wasn't the issue, would be to remove the aftermarket radio's ground wire from the plug/play harness and ground directly to chassis in the metal of the dashboard framework. Poor/lost grounds cause all kinds of havoc in 12V audio, so it's worth a look.

Just sort of taking stabs at things, hope any of it can help you.

That makes since, I'll try that

·
Registered
408 Posts
did your truck come with a cd player? if so it has premium sound. you can bypass the amp, or get some harnesses from crutchfield.com to make it work with your RCA preouts on the deck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
did your truck come with a cd player? if so it has premium sound. you can bypass the amp, or get some harnesses from crutchfield.com to make it work with your RCA preouts on the deck.
Didn't even think about this, good post!

If your truck has premium sound, that goes a long way towards explaining the little pop in the speaker at startup. On/off pops and thumps are not uncommon in OEM amps with a few years on them.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This truck is a no option stripper. no amp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts