Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Farenhe...450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418f4d1f72

Thinking about getting this. Reasoning is features are good, gps is trash but they all have it so no option really. I need bluetooth, want backup camera. Other crap doesn't matter but this one has 7band equalizer and connections for both amp and sub so it seems like a good deal. Any reason not too, or has anyone seen a good stereo that either hangs down or flips downwards? I don't want one that opens up.

And yea, chinese crap, but I'm a chinese major and Anything electronic you buy anywhere is chinese. Plus I had an old soundstream in my last truck and it worked great.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Farenhe...450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418f4d1f72

Thinking about getting this. Reasoning is features are good, gps is trash but they all have it so no option really. I need bluetooth, want backup camera. Other crap doesn't matter but this one has 7band equalizer and connections for both amp and sub so it seems like a good deal. Any reason not too, or has anyone seen a good stereo that either hangs down or flips downwards? I don't want one that opens up.

And yea, chinese crap, but I'm a chinese major and Anything electronic you buy anywhere is chinese. Plus I had an old soundstream in my last truck and it worked great.
Personally I'm not a fan of anything that flips out of the dash. Reason being it will try to open any time it gets power. Plus one more thing to wear out/break. I have heard of rearview mirrors that can display video from a backup camera. I would do that before a flip out HU.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one is out all the time, and only moves to put a disc in, which I never do. One of the reason I like it

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of anything that flips out of the dash. Reason being it will try to open any time it gets power. Plus one more thing to wear out/break. I have heard of rearview mirrors that can display video from a backup camera. I would do that before a flip out HU.
My flip up screen has an option to stay open or stay closed at power up. Only time I ever closed it was if I was parking somewhere that I didn't want it to be noticeable.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Navigation might be a bitch to update or be shitty. Everyone uses phones for gps so it kinda null feature.
Yeah nav is garbage, even the decked out new cars have garbage gps that never gets updated.

It's really a pain finding a video unit that has decent eq and outputs without it though.

Question, do I need eq in the head unit? Will the eq on the amp do the same thing?

Another thing is I need the external mic for the bluetooth, and most units appear to just have a mic in the headunit, which sucks for our trucks.

I might end up getting one that flips up but thought the down ones would keep the dash cleaner and be less prone to breaking.

physical volume knob would be cool but looks like lots don't use it anymore.

Bah.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So I'll assume you have a $245.79 budget. If you want to approach your needs from a different direction, Crutchfield sells a rear view mirror with a backup camera screen and Bluetooth capabilities "Accele RVM430NBTG"

This leaves you with $125.80 to buy a head unit that meets your other needs. Crutchfield lists 46 head units that will fit, for less than that price. If you really want the big screen, they don't carry any that fit your rig.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts
Will it hang right in-front of the air control knobs?

I like having eq in both places set the headunit to neutral and tune the amp's as best you can then do extra fine tuning with the head unit.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've thought of the rear mirror, however, I have wired in the autolamp function of an explorer mirror. Do those mirrors retain that ability?

That one does hang over the climate controls, which doesnt bother me as pushing the eject button will slide it up if I need to use climate. I never do though.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May have found a cool solution. Mount a dedicated rear view monitor somewhere and have the camera activated by a switch, as I have one switch free in my cab. :D Toughts?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
May have found a cool solution. Mount a dedicated rear view monitor somewhere and have the camera activated by a switch, as I have one switch free in my cab. :D Toughts?
I would prefer that over the rearview mirror.

My wife's Toyota has the rearview camera display in the mirror and I personally don't like it because the screen is so small.

I tapped into the video feed to it and now it appears in the mirror and on the 7" head unit screen. Much better.

Concerning that head unit, I don't know much about Farenheit stereo so I personally would spring for that $35 3 year Square Trade warranty.

It does look like a nicely featured unit, aside from all the controls being on the passenger side of the screen (guess it's not designed with USA in mind).

If you don't want GPS and only need Bluetooth, camera, and sub/amp outputs, you might take a look at THIS unit from the same manufacturer.

It has the connections you said you needed plus the controls are properly placed. It also has an external mic for the phone.

A bit cheaper too.

Edit: The flip down feature piqued my interest so I started looking into these things.

It appears that Farenheit, Soundstream, and Power Acoustic are all using the same head units with their own branding, so you should be able to get an idea about quality by looking at their reviews.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good idea. It will allow for a larger monitor. There are visor mounted units or you could mount it inside of an Exploder overhead console if you want to hide it. I park in some sketchy locations and like my rig to appear as if nothing is in it. If you don't have a smart phone, there are some combination GPS/Backup Camera units out there too.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it looks like only those three and eonon do a flip down. Thanks for the tips guys.

Without ever have seen a backup camera before, I'm assuming wiring is post, neg, reverse check? I can just take the reverse sensing wire and just hook it to the switch I'm guessing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts