Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

One of the previous owners put these plastic rain guards up over the top edge of the windows on the doors, and I pulled them off. They look like they were stuck on with some sort of emblem adhesive. I got the bulk of the crap off but I was wondering what I could use to remove the residue and the rest of the crap off. What is something that is safe for paint that I could use?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gah, I'll just have to run to the store and get some WD-40. That I know is safe for paint and works well, I only have silicone spray and goo gone here.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
Ive used goo gone plenty of times on cars. Use it quickly then give a quick wash in the area you used it then put some wax on it. Goo gone and any other adhesive remover will also remove your wax....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have removed and reinstalled that window rain guard on my bronco before, PLEASE use 3M adhesive remover it is safe on paint and softens the adhesive and you can wipe it clean with a rag. It can be pick up at any automotive store. Please don't use goop be gone, I don't think it is designed for automotive paint, as the 3M adhesive remove is designed for removing wide ranges of adhesives.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
I have removed and reinstalled that window rain guard on my bronco before, PLEASE use 3M adhesive remover it is safe on paint and softens the adhesive and you can wipe it clean with a rag. It can be pick up at any automotive store. Please don't use goop be gone, I don't think it is designed for automotive paint, as the 3M adhesive remove is designed for removing wide ranges of adhesives.
Dude, I have used goo gone on multiple cars many many times. If you use common sense with the product, its fine. Dont let it soak on, dont scrub it just dab it on and wipe the adhesive off. I have used goo gone to remove tar, bugs, sticker glue etc etc. on white cars, dark blue, red etc. I even used it to remove the trim glue (a lot of it,very sticky and thick adhesive) on an old light blue 4 runner I used to have and I had to use a lot of the product and wipe it pretty good. Again, common sense with the product. Even with 3M, its a good idea to wash and wax the area if you are concerned about the paint.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heat it up with a blow-dryer that should get it pliable enough to wipe off with a dry terry cloth
Heavy duty adhesives loosen up with heat gun or blow dryer. Use wooden spreader or pliable (soft) plastic scraper to get the bulk of the used adhesive and foam off then household rubbing alcahol to remove residue.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not budging... I got the bulk of the crap off by just pulling with my fingers, but the residue isn't budging at all. I've tried goo gone, WD-40, neither of those worked. I suppose I'll try the rubbing alcohol next.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, rubbing alcohol didn't work either. I'm fawked aren't I?

Guess I'll have to get some of that Griots stuff or the 3M stuff. Why do idiots put crap like this on cars?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.