Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so heres the thing, just picked up a 87 Bronco from a tow yard near me on lien sale. 1200 bucks, not a steal, but not horrible either.

Anywho heres my problem, the accelerator is extremely stiff, like I have to press hard to get it off the line at a light. Not a huge problem, but definitely not good, especially if it leads to the accelerator completely giving out on me. Upon investigating it a bit on line Im thinking I should check the cable, but Im rather slow and could use a bit of help. Any advice?

Also the steering has a lot of play in it. Again, manageable but makes me a bit nervous at freeway speeds. Any tips?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
white lithium grease the aersol can is easiest to use), take the plastic cover off of the throttle body and grease up the springs, ends of the cables, basically where two moving parts meet, then crawl up under the dash and lube the pedal's pivot

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Sounds like typical Bronco stuff to me:D

Mine has the same problems. Basically just don't look down when driving or you'll put yourself into a ditch real fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like typical Bronco stuff to me:D

Mine has the same problems. Basically just don't look down when driving or you'll put yourself into a ditch real fast.
Bah I don't wanna hear that. Goin into ditches is not my idea of a good time. So nothin to do about the loose steering? And Ill be working on the cable as soon as it gets here.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Im no expert, but unless you have bigger than stock tires, I don't think that would help any. Besides, it says its only for vibrations and iirc its made to help with bump steer when running over rough terrain. I would say that is a waste of money (Unless you ACTUALLY need a kit). Did you check the joints in the steering shafte for where the play is at? Tierods? Pitman arm? etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
a steering stabilizer will not help any play in the steering wheel

there is really nothing you can do about that other than getting a new steering gear box

·
Registered
71 Posts
check the tires for lumps...My bronco sat for 3 years before i bought it and it started wobbling pretty bad. I found a tire where the tread was starting to seperate so I changed all 4 and it drives great now(except for kansas wind).

·
Registered
904 Posts
the plastic sleeve that is covered by the spring on your throttle cable is probably falling apart. Happened to mine, used some springs to get it to stay straight but i really should just replace it...

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
ditto on the sleeve.....:twotu:

eventually it will break and the pedal will only travel partway. I agree, replace it. it's not worth the aggravation

1 - 14 of 14 Posts