Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my 302 sits in a machine shop, I'm looking for cams to install in it.
I know it currently has a flat-tappet cam in it, but I'm wondering if this block is roller ready?

That is, can I convert use stock 5.0 mustang cam, lifters, and dog bones to convert this block to roller, or would I need to use the special retrofit lifters/small base circle cams that many company's make?

This is in my 89.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if it was a stock 89 it should have come with a stock roller set up..... and i am not sure about converting it.. i think you have to have some kind of kit to convert it but i am not 100%.... sorry i could not be that much help

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
An 89 block should be roller ready from the factory. If it came in your truck/bronco it wouldn't have a roller cam from the factory in 89. If it isn't a roller block you can use a roller cam and the expensive link bar lifters anyway. Depending on your particular application it may not be $$ worth it to convert. The lifters were expensive the last time I saw a price on them. (Like $400 for the set expensive)

If it is a roller block, all you would need would to do is rob the parts from a factory roller. Lifters, dogbones, cam, etc.

tim

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Does the valley have the screw boss for the hold-down? If it does, than your block is roller ready. You only would need the hold-down and 2 10mm screws and the metal or plastic dogbones for the lifters.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Even better if your block has the screw bosses all you have to do is get a factory roller lifter valley plate setup off of a mustang from the j/y a new set of factory lifters drill and tap the bosses install cam, lifters, lifter plate and then bolts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If your block is not roller ready then you should be able to get a good roller cam core from a junk yard for less than you can modify your existing block. I was in a similiar sitiuation and found that to adapt my non roller 351 was over $1000 to do it right, and the $400 lifters are for the small base circle cams. For my build it was not worth the effort, with luck your block is roller compatable.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.

When I dropped the engine off at the machine shop I was sure it was a roller block, but it's been so long since I've had the intake off my Mustang I wasn't sure. They are supposed to call me when they get it torn down, so hopefully they can tell the difference.

I will post up when I hear the final word.

Perhaps it's time to start a build thread.

ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts