Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XLT, 5.8, 33s, 4” rough country lift,
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I just bought a 96 Bronco with a 5.8 in pretty good condition.. minimal rust, 222k on the clock and it runs really good. No ticks, knocks, nothing at all. I am by no means an expert, but my daily is a 94 F-150 with a 5.0 and I’ve put a lot of work into it.

The only problem with the bronco is a really slow crank. When the starter engages, it cranks every 2 seconds about 4 times, then it starts to spin quickly and fires up. It’s been this way since I bought it. I’ve probably started it 25 times or so up until today. Probably 40 times today trying to diagnose it.

I went to pick my wife up at her friends house last night and it wouldn’t start. went to start it and it cranked every ten seconds and never started. I tried manually starting it on the starter solenoid, still a slow crank, no start. I slammed the battery cable and it slow cranked, but started. (Not a good drive home with the wife).

Today, I did the following and it’s still cranking every 2 seconds 3-4 times and then it starts.

New starter, New battery, new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, took the battery terminals from my 95 mustang GT because she’s sitting (she’s beautiful), new ignition relay, cleaned the ground. It still cranks every few seconds 3-4 times then fires up. Maybe I need to replace the distributor itself? New battery wires all the way through? I did bendone of the nuts on the starter solenoid, could that be it? It seems like the batteries dead, but its not. it also seems like the batteries not getting power to the starter.

I’m stumped.

NOTE: after I replaced the starter, which was the first thing I replaced after the battery, it fired right up like it was brand new. Then reverted to its old ways immediately. I bent the bolt on the solenoid after it had already reverted to its old ways.

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Any help and any encouragement is greatly appreciated. I don’t want to have to sell this ole girl and if I can’t get her to start up perfect every time, my wife will never ride in her again. PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,686 Posts
Yo Drew,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Full Size Bronco ever! It appears very good.
Battery that is fully charged produces 12.6 volts at rest with engine off and all lights and accessories off.

➡ Are battery connections including grounds to frame, intake manifold etc., clean and tight?

Engine Block; "...The black battery wire goes from the front bolt of the engine mount (on the block) to this tab & up to the battery post, where a smaller black wire goes to the core support, providing a continuous ground path between the engine, frame, battery, & body..."

Source: by CodysBigBlueBronco (how much $???)
====
Frame; "...With the wheelwell gone, it's easy to inspect the frame ground, just inboard of the spring tower on top of the frame rail. The battery ground cable is stripped ~3/4" and a tab is soldered on so it can be bolted to the frame..."

Source: by Steve
===
Intake Manifold to Block Strap Location pic in a 96 5.0

Source: by boss (bossind, Steve)
It's is between 2nd &; 3rd spark plugs on passenger side
□○□
STARTER RELAY GROUND; Check for continuity between relay mounting bracket and clean chassis ground. Rust, grime, paint etc interferes with relay contrul circuit.

Pull red/light blue wire push-on connector off of the inner fender starter relay. With key in start position, should have batty voltage at red/light blue wire. If not, check for voltage at red/light blue wire on Neutral Safety Switch (also referred to as Back-Up Switch), then at ignition switch.
If No or low voltage there in the "start" mode and you have a problem in the wiring, ignition switch, or neutral safety switch. Check for corriosion & loose connections at all.
¤°¤

Following from 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual (partial) @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

• "Starter Motor Cranks Slowly
  • Loose or corroded battery cable connections.
  • Undercharged battery.
  • Loose or corroded starter motor connections.
  • Malfunctioning starter motor.
PINPOINT TEST A: STARTER MOTOR CRANKS ENGINE SLOWLY OR NO CRANKING WITH RELAY/SOLENOID CLICKING OR CHATTERING
A1 CHECK CONNECTIONS AT BATTERIES
  • Inspect all battery cable connections for looseness and corrosion.
Are battery connections clean and tight?
YesNo
GO to A2.CLEAN and TIGHTEN connections at batteries.
A2 STARTER LOAD TEST
  • Perform starter load test. Refer to Component Tests in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section. miesk5 note; pull it and have it tested.
Did starter pass load test?
YesNo
GO to A3.TEST batteries. REFER to Section 14-00. If batteries are OK, GO to A4.
A3 CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE
  • Perform voltage drop tests. Refer to Component Tests in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.
Did starter circuit pass voltage drop test?
YesNo
GO to A4.CLEAN circuit connection as necessary.
A4 STARTER NO-LOAD TEST
  • Perform starter no-load test. Refer to Component Tests in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.
Did starter pass no-load test?
YesNo
Slow cranking is caused by excessive engine drag.REPAIR or REPLACE starter.
..."
-End-

by El Kabong @
"Cheesy clamp on end. Do not use for a long term repair. Only to get you home when nothing else is available. If you have one of these, suspect it before anything else" El Kabong @ Common Replies to FAQs

When you turn the key to "RUN/START" and there's no spring resistance feeling it usually because the actuator inside steering column is broken or ignition switch is loose.

Accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch.

For the heckuv it, test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition switch lock cylinder through all positions of the ignition switch. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding. The ignition system should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient lube on actuator
binding ignition switch
●⊙●
➡ ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details,
View attachment 154412

scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.
Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .

Try to find time to participate and vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not for nothing sounds like your alternator is not charging the battery or you have a drain on the battery from somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts