Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original leak was at water pump this summer. Replaced pump and thermostat including red RTV sealant. Don’t know where it’s leaking from. Need help. This is getting really old.
96 5.0

·
Registered
498 Posts
What about a pressure test? It looks like a bicycle pump with a radiator cap on the end. Then with it pressurized in a nice quiet area look around like you did in the video
You dont even have to buy the tool, you can borrow it from Auto Zone

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,356 Posts
had a similar problem, wonder if it could be the water port in your intake gasket..they're notorious..I agree with @para definitely a good idea to do a pressure test..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m quite a novice. If I can’t see it, how would a pressure test help?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,356 Posts
I’m quite a novice. If I can’t see it, how would a pressure test help?
That's a valid question..there are only so many places it could be leaking from up there. are you able to get an eye on where the head sits on the block, or is that completely blocked by the smog pump?? I'd also suggest double checking all your hose clamps up top and the condition of your radiator hose as well as the heater hose where it goes into the intake..there's a fitting up there that has a tendency to rust..yours might have a hole in it..

The wall you describe is your engine block..If the coolant is coming down there, I'm willing to bet it's the water port on the passenger side intake gasket..

You might have to unbolt and move some things out of the way so you can get a better look..let us know what you find.

Reactions: HoustonBronco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be timing cover, expansion plug, lower intake, or a poor seal on water pump. Pressure test is your best bet. If you can't visually see the leak point during a pressure test, it's likely yhe expansion plug behind the alternator bracket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m getting a inspection camera tomorrow to look into the hard to reach places. I have zero doubt I will be back to ask more wuestions

·
Registered
1992 Ford Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0
231 Posts
What I did to find a hidden leak, was I cleaned the top and bottom of the engine and waited for it to dry. Afterwards I poured in some radiator leak detector dye and ran it around it around the block after I warmed it up. I found the leak in under 2 mins when I got under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts