Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Ive been trying to defeat the death wobble in my 79. So far Ive replace the trac bar bushings, a broken u joint in the pass front and replaced all the wheel bearings in the RF. It did get a little better it seems. I can get to about 30-35 before it starts up. I can feel it try sometimes and if I throttle up or down it will stop. I guess my next step is to do the bearings on the left side and put new c bushings in it. I just hate putting $ in it when I know Im gonna rip out the d44 and put in a d60 as soon as I can get it roadworthy. So what ever i put in im going to end up selling as so as I can make a 100 mile trip. This is the first vehicle ive ever owned that has had this problem. My other 79 was great of course I knew the guy that had it before me. And, it only have 35's on it and not 44's. Oh well, guess Ill get her right or go broke trying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ingalls Engineering replacement track arm bolt.

On alot of '78-'79 Broncos and F150s, the track arm bolt hole (cast onto Dana 44 axle) is worn out. So, even with new bushings, there's still slop in the track arm. Have someone rock the steering wheel (back & forth slightly) while you closely watch for loose play in the track arm bolt/hole.

Ingalls Engineering makes a replacement track arm bolt #84979 that's tapered to fit tight. The installation requires the use of a tapered reamer KD part #2044. I did this on my '78 Bronco years ago and it's one of the best things i did!
http://www.ingallseng.com/misc_parts/84979.htm Ingalls track arm bolt
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdbody02.html KD tapered reamer

·
tactical-mike
5,561 Posts
mine gets a little crazy on a bad road. i put ladderbars on the back and it almost quit altogether. i ride on 42's. these types of tires hate a bad road. they grab every bad spot on the black top. on the hi-way it rides better than stock. goodluck finding the problem. also check to make sure the front axle is centered under neath the bronco. park it on a flat level concrete surface. use a plumb bob off the side of the front fenders and a yard stick to measure off the string to see if its centered. if it is off adjust the track bar in or out to get it right. out of center will cause a death wobble also.

·
Registered
585 Posts
broncomania said:
mine gets a little crazy on a bad road. i put ladderbars on the back and it almost quit altogether. i ride on 42's. these types of tires hate a bad road. they grab every bad spot on the black top. on the hi-way it rides better than stock. goodluck finding the problem. also check to make sure the front axle is centered under neath the bronco. park it on a flat level concrete surface. use a plumb bob off the side of the front fenders and a yard stick to measure off the string to see if its centered. if it is off adjust the track bar in or out to get it right. out of center will cause a death wobble also.

Maybe you can explain to me how wobble can be caused by the axle being shifted sideways. Mine was shifted to the driver's side almost 1.5" for over a year, never had a problem, even with my 38's. Right now, my rear radius arm bushings have about 1.5" of back & forth movement, and still no wobble. Yes, the bushings are hammered, but I won't be needing them anymore, so I'm not gonna waste time & money changing them. :toothless

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to figure out how that would work.....:drinkbud

·
Registered
689 Posts
Danny Cabral said:
On alot of '78-'79 Broncos and F150s, the track arm bolt hole (cast onto Dana 44 axle) is worn out. So, even with new bushings, there's still slop in the track arm. Have someone rock the steering wheel (back & forth slightly) while you closely watch for loose play in the track arm bolt/hole.

Ingalls Engineering makes a replacement track arm bolt #84979 that's tapered to fit tight. The installation requires the use of a tapered reamer KD part #2044. I did this on my '78 Bronco years ago and it's one of the best things i did!
http://www.ingallseng.com/misc_parts/84979.htm Ingalls track arm bolt
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdbody02.html KD tapered reamer

this fixed mine right up!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
busted shock(s) will make a bronco with big tires hop violently.
my old '78 with 36's did this.i would have to slow down to make it stop, then
resume driving.
ended up being a busted rancho (crap) shock on the front end.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check for a hung brake caliper too. I had a chevy with a bad caliper. it was fine when i first started driving but once the brakes got hot it threw the front of the truck up and down like a buckin bronco.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts