Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
The auto choke feature on the 1406 is junk. I’ve cleaned all the linkage, lubed it, and it’ll work a time or two and the get cranky again. If it’s cold and I want it to run, I go under the hood and manually push the throttle to set the choke plate. I feel your pain here.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’ve
Not so sure about that. I cleaned mine up during the rebuild and it's been working just fine for the last 4 years.

You folks down south don't deal with cold. Chilly maybe... but cold? Nah. ;-)
I’ve cleaned mine up, made sure piston was free in bore, seal in place, linkage on both sides free, and I still have a hard time having it fall into place when I move the throttle. But I’ll try it again, especially if you have had good luck.

It’s cold now. 40 F!

·
Premium Member
34,862 Posts
lmao @ cold = 40 deg. That's about my bike riding cut off temperature in my old age and rural area. When I was young and living in the city, if there wasn't ice on the road, I was good to go!

I have and continue to have good luck with it (knocks on wood). As it is... my only frustration with the choke is having to pump the throttle to get it to turn back off, when I'm in a rush to use the rig instead of waiting for it to get hot enough to trip itself off. I'm no mechanic, not by a long shot but if you've done all that... maybe there's an issue with the power or ground wiring? Maybe a trickle charge is getting through that's keeping the spring warm, instead of letting it cool and retract?

When you go to start the rig and it's cold, the temperature should have already caused the spring to retract, opening up the choke system. Once it's warmed up enough from the engine running is when the spring tension should relax enough to allow the system to ease back into regular operation.

Now... I might be wrong but that's how that system works, to the best of my understanding. I only assume that the electrical connection there only provides a minor current to the spring system that should help it to warm up a little faster but now I'm guessing, albeit an educated guess but still just a guess.

FWIW, I may be using "retract" when I should be using "expand" and vice verse.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The auto choke feature on the 1406 is junk. I’ve cleaned all the linkage, lubed it, and it’ll work a time or two and the get cranky again. If it’s cold and I want it to run, I go under the hood and manually push the throttle to set the choke plate. I feel your pain here.
That's disappointing to hear 🙁 if it's going to be an ongoing issue then just might have to go to something different...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Setting up a choke on a carburetor is a tedious adventure. You just don't plug it in and you're all set to go. I takes time, trial and error to get it right, but once you get it dialed in you are good to go. Now you have your starting point to refer back to for the next time somewhere down the road. Nobody likes to waste their time to get it right, DYI'ers or Mechanics alike. It is not IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Good luck.

PS You do have a few choices if you get frustrated; Install a Manual choke, Remove/Disable the choke mechanism all together, Get a different carb and start the process all over again or go to Fuel Injection and never worry again.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Setting up a choke on a carburetor is a tedious adventure. You just don't plug it in and you're all set to go. I takes time, trial and error to get it right, but once you get it dialed in you are good to go. Now you have your starting point to refer back to for the next time somewhere down the road. Nobody likes to waste their time to get it right, DYI'ers or Mechanics alike. It is not IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Good luck.

PS You do have a few choices if you get frustrated; Install a Manual choke, Remove/Disable the choke mechanism all together, Get a different carb and start the process all over again or go to Fuel Injection and never worry again.
How's that work if u disable the choke? Wouldn't that produce similar issues like I'm experiencing now? Can u do that with the Edelbrock 1406? Please tell me more ☺ I've thought about the Holley efi but keep going back to the defeats the purpose of wanting CID just to switch. Kinja make me feel a lil like a trader... But... Would i get improved mileage? Was it @biggum that i was reading about doing the Holley efi?

As far as wasting time to get it right, since it's all part of the warranty for the starter system install, carb install my mechanic did, any adjustments is on his dime until it's right. Hopefully that motivates him to try harder 😏 seriously tho, he's a good guy. Rebuilds classic muscle for a hobby so, knows his shit 👍 he always makes it right, sometimes it just takes
F O R E V E R... He gets a little too comfortable with its a project instead of its a job...

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
How's that work if u disable the choke? Wouldn't that produce similar issues like I'm experiencing now? Can u do that with the Edelbrock 1406? Please tell me more ☺ I've thought about the Holley efi but keep going back to the defeats the purpose of wanting CID just to switch. Kinja make me feel a lil like a trader... But... Would i get improved mileage? Was it @biggum that i was reading about doing the Holley efi?

As far as wasting time to get it right, since it's all part of the warranty for the starter system install, carb install my mechanic did, any adjustments is on his dime until it's right. Hopefully that motivates him to try harder 😏 seriously tho, he's a good guy. Rebuilds classic muscle for a hobby so, knows his shit 👍 he always makes it right, sometimes it just takes
F O R E V E R... He gets a little too comfortable with its a project instead of its a job...
Well disabling it would be like having no Choke at all and you'd have to pump the gas a few times then start it and try to keep it running till it warms up, as you are doing now.

A FI system should provide better MPG's and NO MORE cold start problems, it just costs a lot more.

A Carb can be Tweaked to get pretty good MPG's also but again it takes trial and error/a lot of time and work. And you also have the Choke aspect to deal with.

It is all up to your Wants, Needs and Desires. Weigh the Pro's and Con's. Have Fun!!!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol @Stevo440 , it's been a blast so far...
So... To adjust the choke is that a screw like the carb or a cable?

Well i saw miesks post after Stevo's i guess that question was answered 👍

·
Registered
649 Posts
Lol @Stevo440 , it's been a blast so far...
So... To adjust the choke is that a screw like the carb or a cable?
Well to be honest I have not worked on one of these Carbs that you have specifically. I've done a lot of work with Holley 4bbls, ThermoQuads, and Rochester 4bbls. That was alooooong time ago, in a Land Far Far Away....

Usually with a Choke Adjustment/Setup it is with Linkages, some screws and then there are electrical and/or mechanical heat sources (Springs) or Manually Actuated (Cable).

·
Registered
649 Posts
@BroncMom Take a run down to the Greensboro NC area where I work and I'll take a look and see what I can do, before you shoot yourself or spend a small fortune on this Debacle.
:geek:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lol just a jaunt down to Greensboro... From North West pa... If my boy was still at lejeune that might be more do-able... But... All this fine tuning shouldn't be costing me anything @Stevo440 cause it should all be under warranty from when my mechanic replaced the carb and ignition system. Hopefully he gets it right... This time. We were a little rushed last may when we were working on this as my boy was relocating out to Pendleton in San Diego and i wanted him to see the truck before he left, so there were a few things left to fine tune and button up after that... Such as getting the carb and choke tuned properly...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts