Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have what I believe to be a bent pushrod in my 94 5.8L. Wondering what I need to order BEFORE I pull it apart. (down time is NOT an option).

Basically am going to replace the pushrods,guides,lifters, and rocker arms. What all is inside this motor? I have heard it has roller lifters? Does it have roller rockers as well? What size push rods should I be getting? Rocker arms...1.5? 1.6? 1.7?

Need to keep the price down, but wouldn't mind adding a tiny bit of "oomph" if it's only a couple bucks more. After much consideration, a cam will not be done at this time.

Part numbers would even be better

TIA~~~

Rob
:rockon

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
How did you determine you might have a bent push rod? What kind of problem is the engine having?

Without knowing the particulars of that truck, it's hard to say if it is a 351 HO engine? Once the lower intake is off you'll know soon enough if it's a roller engine.

I would reccomend you go out and purchase a Haynes Manual for the Bronco. (A year specific Ford shop manual is better, but not as easy to find.)

The exploded views of the engine in the manual will show you a lot about what you wil encounter once you start taking things apart. It really isn't that difficult of a job to do. But you gotta have the right tools for the job and a manual should definitely be on that list.

Check the Summit or Jegs website for parts. Even if you don't buy from them you can at least get the specs for the parts you're going to need.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, it is a 351. Problem with Summit/Jegs is they have several parts listed for each motor. Would like to know A) What is in there stock B) What combinations work well this motor.

I would like to order the parts before I pull it apart so that I can simply R&R everything in one shot.

I was just hoping someone on here knew this stuff since I'm completly new to this vehicle. (I could tell you ANYTHING about my other vehicles...) *85 Trans Am w/383 stroker, 69 GTO Judge 'Stock', 96 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L OHC 'Mostly Stock'...*

This is an entirely new one for me though. Have owned 4 GM trucks, but never a Ford.

Oh yeah, I have what sounds ALMOST like a lifter tick, but lower in tone. It does get louder at random times, quieter at others. It doesn't change it's tone though, and not a hollowish sound of a connecting rod.

All the loose rockers I've ever had, have made a "rattle" sound...that is, when you step on it and let off...it rattles at the previous RPM for a second or two...this stays steady with the engine RPMs.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
before you go off and start ordering parts... is the motor "Speed Density" or "Mass Air"???? Speed Density motors are not realy mod friendly... where as Mass Air configurations are plenty mod friendly.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
You may have a valve sticking. It could even be an exhaust leak. Before you start ordering parts, pull the valve covers off and watch it. If there's anything bent, you'll know. To replace the pushrods, you'll just need the pushrods, valve cover gaskets, and some RTV. It would be a good time to change the oil too.

Without swapping out the cam and maybe larger valves, then changing rocker arm ratios would seem pointless IMO. Aside from that, do you know if this thing has been rebuilt? If it has, there's no telling what kind of pistons are in it. You don't want to risk any valve clearance issues. If you're looking for a little oomph, then look for other bolt ons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rebuild...but will be pulling the valve covers today. Thank you Jerry :thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts