Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked everything i could, vacuum lines are good,i tested the resistance for the IAC and it was at 10 so it was good , replaced tps twice

All i can think off is that the truck is thinking its cold and its running rich or something, cause i have a thermostat of 160, im guessing change it right ?

and if so what temperature? 180?

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,268 Posts
I would think that since the computer is set to run in full Closed loop at about 180 degs that to play it safe the stock 192 thermostat would be fine as for any horsepower gains you are/were searching for with the 160 thermostat on our vehicles are un-noticeable or marginal at least and would throw off the Closed loop operation. You would need to Re-Tune your Computer to take advantage of any changes you make to notice any power increases as far as the Thermostat and Closed loop are concerned. If you run a 160 because off running to hot you have another problem with the cooling system that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that since the computer is set to run in full Closed loop at about 180 degs that to play it safe the stock 192 thermostat would be fine as for any horsepower gains you are/were searching for with the 160 thermostat on our vehicles are un-noticeable or marginal at least and would throw off the Closed loop operation. You would need to Re-Tune your Computer to take advantage of any changes you make to notice any power increases as far as the Thermostat and Closed loop are concerned. If you run a 160 because off running to hot you have another problem with the cooling system that needs to be addressed.
I just didnt know the condition of the block and radiator since it didnt have a thermostat when i got it, and i put a 160 to be sure, but i guess ill have to put a 180 or 192 to be sure

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would a 194 thermostat be to much in a hot humid climate ?
so far a 160 at its hottest reaches around the right side of the C and before the normal range

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,268 Posts
Stock was somewhere around 192-195, as long as the rest of your cooling system is working as designed it should be fine, I live in the Atlanta Georgia area where the temps are between 90-100 all summer long an I have a 192 Motorad Fail-Safe thermostat in mine but all the rest of the cooling system is working flawlessly also and my temp never gets to hot nor does it ever move noticeably.

·
Super Moderator
28,219 Posts
yo Fox,
I can't recall if I provided this to you;

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock was somewhere around 192-195, as long as the rest of your cooling system is working as designed it should be fine, I live in the Atlanta Georgia area where the temps are between 90-100 all summer long an I have a 192 Motorad Fail-Safe thermostat in mine but all the rest of the cooling system is working flawlessly also and my temp never gets to hot nor does it ever move noticeably.
perfect! thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yo Fox,
I can't recall if I provided this to you;
View attachment 176799
yes i have! ill maybe change the psv, i dont think its been changed,maybe if its not expensive the ignition coil
worse case scenario de fuel filter but i dont think its that bad the fuel

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i got a question, i pullsed the pcv out and it was fine, just abit dirty, i tried to put the new one it but for some reason the gasket was stretched? and it moved around abit

·
Super Moderator
28,219 Posts
Yo Fox,
Return the gasket, if bought new.
"Rubber grommets and O-ring seals get hard over time and cause problems. Grommets sometimes split, creating an oil leak and allowing dirt into the engine. Replacing the grommet or O-ring with the valve prevents many problems. Grommets come in a variety of designs, depending on the engine design. Original equipment grommets work and fit best. If the PCV valve mounts with a grommet, purchase a new one with the valve." by AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yo Fox,
"Rubber grommets and O-ring seals get hard over time and cause problems. Grommets sometimes split, creating an oil leak and allowing dirt into the engine. Replacing the grommet or O-ring with the valve prevents many problems. Grommets come in a variety of designs, depending on the engine design. Original equipment grommets work and fit best. If the PCV valve mounts with a grommet, purchase a new one with the valve." by AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve
nono its the original that is in now, i just found the replacement! and ok i wanted to confirm

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
29 Posts
I checked everything i could, vacuum lines are good,i tested the resistance for the IAC and it was at 10 so it was good , replaced tps twice

All i can think off is that the truck is thinking its cold and its running rich or something, cause i have a thermostat of 160, im guessing change it right ?

and if so what temperature? 180?
mine did this when my MAP sensor started going bad. Could also be your throttle control sensor.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine did this when my MAP sensor started going bad. Could also be your throttle control sensor.
ill diagnose the MAP, i changed the TPS 2 times now and has the correct resistance

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question! whats should the EGR valve and the EGV control solenoid resistance be?
cause it could be a bad egr or egr control solenoid

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heya
Yo Fox,
question ! what is the resistance for the egr control solenoid ?
also theres 2 kinds i find, one with a grey top and one with a black top, im not sure which one is the correct one?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
1,684 Posts
only other thing is the MAP but i dont have a oscilloscope to check it
I have a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight that can measure frequency. I have used it to verify the MAP output is good on several vehicles. I have never had a bad MAP cause a rolling idle. Vacuum leaks, bad TPS and worn throttlebody are the most common causes.

·
Super Moderator
28,219 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts