Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Crazed said:
tried it this morning...same crap. :banghead

it will turn over for a while...and not start...then you let off the key, and it kinda farts and sputters. then the battery dies, and you are done. :banghead
on the '79?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
could you possibly have a fuel problem, like maybe one of your pumps are going out and not feeding the motor properly.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
So when you turn the key to crank it just spins over.
Then when you let go of the key it kinda trys to crank.

Is that right.

If it is you may want to try this.

Turn the key to the on position.
Take a piece of wire and connect it to the positive batery post.
touch the other end to the small termanil on the starter solinoid.
This will turn the engine over.
If it cranks up you may have a problem with your ignition switch not functioning properly in the crank position.

If not then I just wasted your time, sorry.

·
7,830 Posts
crazed if you getting fuel coming out of the tailpipe do not turn the motor over anymore. pull out your dipstick and smell it. because gas could be getting into the oil which will mess up your barrings . replace your fuelPR and you should be fine. but will need to change the oil to. I hope you didnt turn it over to much. this happend to my 88 ford ranger bout 4yrs ago.

late

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Crazed said:
Anyone know what a fuel regulator does when it dies?..will it allow fuel to enter the engine after it is shut off?
If the regulater has gone out, it can force the injector's to leak fuel into the intake as soon as you turn the key on, and it could continue to leak until the pressure drops low enuff for the injector's to handle, even after you turn the key off.

When mine went out the second time, the Bronco died and wouldnt turn over. I thout the starter was bad (I was 17 at the time 10 years ago) It turned out that the engine had actually hydro-locked on fuel :wacko

My brother figured aut the problem by pulling out the oil dip stick and smelling it. It had so much gas in the crank case that you could actually light the oil on the dipstick on fire.

The first time the regulator whent out the truck was still my dads and he ended up destroying the cats before the problem was fixed.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
gearrat said:
tim the back bolt is a bitch to get to i dropped mine several times when i was replacing my PR..
No s**t I did the same thing to mine, never did find that little bolt, its probably down there somewhere. Tim, I agree with these guy it definitely sounds like an FPR, mine did the same exact thing when it went bad.

·
7,830 Posts
May the Force be with ya.

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
good save on the oil tim the only thing i can suggest at this point is replace the plugs. i know ya may have just done this but they may be fouled out from the previous prob

1 - 20 of 140 Posts