Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Ford offered a 4 barrel carb/manifold option on a 351/400 78 Bronco? I have a 2bbl and want to bolt a 4 with edebrock but Ca smog says it would have to have been an option in order to pass smog in Ca.
Thx
Geo

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I know nothing about that legality shit so I'm just throwing this out there, but how do they know??? Can't you just take a factory 351 intake, heads (and I do suggest getting the heads) and carb off of a '60-'73 mustang 351?? It'll be Ford factory stuff....would that work???:shrug (or hell, now that I think about it, will Clevland and modified parts inter-change??) Oh well, just tossing ideas out there...tryin' to help...:toothless

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If the emission tech wanted, he could check the VIN, to see if the vehicle was ever available with whatever parts were installed, as an option. AK has this same 'law'...and when I asked about it, they told me that meant no aftermarket parts. Naturally, I laughed at the guy, and asked if he was joking... didn't really have an answer. (I got around it, with a 22R engine and 20R head, in a 78 Celica... only to find out later on, that it's alot more common than I knew:brownbag) Anyway, the emission tech should have books to let him find out what whas available on any engine, any year. His biggest problem will be, finding a 4bbl intake that not only looks stock, but will work with his 2bbl heads... he's not going to find an intake to fit his engine, unless he feels like hunting down, and paying for, Aussie parts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just get an edelbrock intake and carb.I think for our year broncos,the make it 50 state smog legal

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
in california if the engine never came with a 4bbl carb then you can never put one on it.

the best you can do is get the 400-EGR intake that edelbrok offers. put your 2bbl carb on it for smogging then run the 4bbl for the 2 years and switch everything back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppoose I could chang it back every 2 years. I have got a fair new rebuild with moste everything stoke except the cam which is a mid to heavy RV cam. Sounds real nice with the duel exhaust but wants to breath more.

Is a 4bbl gona be worth it?
G

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
hell yeah. I am probably running about the same thing on mine here in CA and I a praying that it will pass the sniffer when I take it in. but I am also going back to a single exhaust and I have a few tricks I am going to try when I go in there. :D

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
maybe I will try it. but I am nervious they will fail it on me for altered smog equiptment since it is supposed to be a single

1 - 13 of 13 Posts