Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a severe duty alternative for the bronco the way there was for police package sedans and coupes? I live in a hot Climate and would like more airflow if. There is a way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Is there a severe duty alternative for the bronco the way there was for police package sedans and coupes? I live in a hot Climate and would like more airflow if. There is a way to do it.

Not that i know of. But you can find aftermarket electric fan kits that will help a lot. Or scour the junkyards for some electric fans that will work.

A big 3" thick aluminum radiator and new trans cooler will help too. And a quality thermostat. I like robert shaw thermostats, but Stant are also acceptable.

And a proper pressure radiator cap. You may want to bump up to a 15 or 16lb cap to raise the boiling temp of your coolant too.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
871 Posts

In my searches over the years I do remember seeing a heavy duty and a severe duty cooling setup, so if you do a search you should come up with the same findings and be able to source all the required parts. If memory serves me correctly I think the Towing package came with the Severe duty setup. I know that there are fan clutches that are heavy duty and severe duty. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,213 Posts
There is such thing as a "Severe Duty" fan clutch, but I don't know the difference or benefit.

Really the best thing is to get a better radiator (several threads about that), and be sure to use the shroud!

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
9 Posts
I bought a severe duty fan clutch from napa snd installed it back in February due to my other fan clutch just being completely wasted. It was basically just free spinning out front. The severe duty one works awesome here in Phoenix, I've been driving it around a lot the last couple weeks with temps well over 115+ and the temp gauge stays right where it should be and it will engage while sitting at a light enough to pull some extra air over the condenser which in turn is helping out the AC which is a giant plus in my books.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I highly recommend the switch to e fans, 98-01 ford contour v6 dual fans fit our radiators well and move a ton of air. Pair with a 2 speed or pwm controller from dccontrols.
Oem reliability and frees up tons of space, probably a couple hp too.

I have this setup with 2 speed controller and they have no issues keeping my high compression 347 cool even crawling/idling in 90+ degree heat. I have yet to see high speed kick in.

I'm also running a 180 thermostat and champion radiator so that is a factor.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
i have a severe duty clutch you can have for the cost of shipping. it was just too loud for me at low speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you keep the fan clutch, make sure you use the later 7 blade fan if you dont have it already. It flows more CFM and is quieter.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
94 XLT 351 E4OD 4" Superlift 88 XLT AOD about to put on 4" Pro Comp lift
2,802 Posts
Taurus Fan and 130Amp 3G cured every cooling issue my 88 has ever had.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
170 Posts
i have a severe duty clutch you can have for the cost of shipping. it was just too loud for me at low speeds.

Do you still have the severe duty clutch? Will it work with a 5.0 in an '89 Bronco? I use my truck as a mobile office and sometimes it gets extremely hot idling on a construction site for long periods of time with the AC on. I have replaced the radiator with a three row aluminum unit, and have a new fan clutch from O'Reilly Auto Parts (whatever they offer - only one), but it still gets hotter than I would like for it to. Also have a new 185 degree thermostat.
TB

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have a murray severe duty fan and its only loud at first start in the morning. Its hard to tell how well its working with a factory temp gauge. Mine normally runs around 195 with a/c off and about 200-205 with a/c on in 100 degree weather. Running a 192 or 195 t stat cant remember

1 - 12 of 12 Posts