Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the stock leather wrapped air bag steering wheel found in the 94-96 Broncos the same exact wheel found in many of the other Ford vehicle applications of 94-96?

The reason I am asking is the leather air bag wheel in my 94 is "chapped" and I'm looking for a stock replacement with good leather. I know the Mustang steering wheels can be swapped with Taurus', Capris, LTD's, Crown Vic's, Mercury Marquis, etc....but I am not sure about the Bronco's steering wheels and/or compatibility with other Ford/Mercury applications.

If so, what other applications will swap into the Bronco without mods (plug-n-play versions).

Does the steering wheel center have a "D" shaped center hole where the nut attaches it to the column?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steve83 said:
Any steering wheel/airbag that's the same shape will fit & work fine, regardless of color or original application.

Steve,

would one from a 90-93 Ford Mutang work then - OEM black, leather wrapped, air bag wheel? it will bolt up the same way, no mods needed or issues to be concerned about? No need to worry about the clock spring on the Bronco mating with a Mustang airbag wheel?

thx!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I like the look and feel of the 94-96 steering wheel. Can I swap it onto my 82' without modification? a adapter kit only realy works for the grant steering wheels right? I dont need the airbag and no cruise control so its mostly just a personal thing

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to see this came back to the top actually...

I won a 90-93 Mustang leather wrapped air bag wheel off eBay because the wheel does look similar to the Bronco/Ford truck wheels of the same type. So, based upon the replies in this thread, I decided that for the $25 Buy it Now "chance", I'd buy the Mustang wheel and use it if it would work in place of the Bronco wheel.

However, the difference that I now see in person (having both wheels to compare physically), the Ford truck wheels are "deeper" where the spokes meet the actual circumference of the steering wheel. Meaning, if looking at the Ford truck wheel from the side, where the spokes from the air bag area are meeting the wheel rim, the depth from the rim to the air bag face is deeper than that of the Ford Car steering wheels of the same design.

The Mustang air bag steering wheel from the face of the air bag to the steering wheel rim is shallow, while the Bronco/Ford truck steering wheel is definitely deeper in the way the wheel is designed. These slight design variances may be due to the seating differences (height from floor pan, distance from dash, etc), steering column lengths and ergonomic designs between the cars & trucks.

The horn buttons, cruise control buttons, the air bag mounting areas and air bag dimensions appear to be exactly the same on both wheels.

I have not removed my Bronco wheel yet, so at this point, I cannot compare the actual mounting points on the Mustang wheel to the Bronco's wheel - nor do I know if the Mustang wheel will be a direct fit or not.

Those are my findings up to this point between a Mustang air bag wheel (90-93) and the Bronco air bag wheel (94-96).

:scratchhe

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks Steve, thats what I needed to know. But any other say grant or momo wheel with the adapter kit I can use right?

·
Registered
248 Posts
timack said:
If your problem is that the leather is worn, consider:
http://wheelskins.com/original_wheelskin.php
They have a very good product...
That is probably the best solution if all you want is good leather.
I removed my worn out leather wrap and underneath it's like a regular plastic wheel with the moulded finger grips. I then bought one of those rubber aftermarket covers with a Ford emblem design. It looks better than that ratty old leather and gives me a good grip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts