Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a same-era/same-year F-350 radiator bolt directly into my '94 Bronco?

My factory original radiator has a leak and was wondering if I can fit a larger one.

Example:
A radiator for an 429 or 460?
Or how about a radiator for a Power Stroke?

In the next 5 years I want to rebuild my 5.0L for more output (torque) or replace with a larger motor.
I want to replace the current radiator; but only want to purchase one ONCE for the next 10 years, not buy two within 10 years.

OR.....
Are radiators from rockauto good enough yet cheap for a 5 year life span?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Well, that depends on what you call "fit". I'm running a fully universal BeCool 3" thick radiator in my 85.

I do know some of the pre-powerstroke diesels used GIANT downflow radiators. I pulled one from the JY once. Solid brass too.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
from what i see on rock auto, the radiators are the same. not that you could fit one in the other, but they're the same part numbers. at least for the 460.

the diesel uses a different number.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
There was different radiators available for the same engine. 5.0s could be had with a single row or 2 row radiator. Mine has the 2 row factory, so I just went with a rockauto radiator when it sprung a leak 5 years ago. It has never gotten hot unless it was out of coolant or didn't have a fan and sat still for 5 min.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
833 Posts
Maybe an IDI radiator, but powerstroke radiators are a whole different animal. Any gas motor radiator should fit Bronco f150-350. I’ve had marginal luck with the dirt cheap ones you find on rockauto/eBay. Some started leaking after a year or two where the plastic side tanks crimp on, others have lasted. I know summit used to list a full aluminum welded radiator for them, it was like $400 last I checked though, so I gave up on that dream.....

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
I think my universal 3" dual core triple pass radiator from BeCool was right at $300

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,712 Posts
Not specifcally bronco but I moved the stock radiator from my '96 F-250 with a 460 to my 92 f-150 with a 302. The 302 truck had the thin radiator so all I had to do was trim the fan shroud a little, that was it. Dropped right in without anymore issues, just like it was made for the truck.
I went with a champion radiator for the 96. I have had good luck with these, though there are some on this forum that have had leaks too...

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
This is an IDI radiator out of a brick nose. I know its hard to tell, but its massive, over 3" thick. It would certainly fit, but I dont remember how it mounted. And its downflow, meaning the tanks are on top and bottom.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is an IDI radiator out of a brick nose. I know its hard to tell, but its massive, over 3" thick. It would certainly fit, but I dont remember how it mounted. And its downflow, meaning the tanks are on top and bottom.

Wow; old school: brass and copper! ?

Looks like I would need to reroute the tranny-cooling lines.
Being that the lower tank is on the bottom.

Also; with it being 3" thick, that would probably mean the fan shroud would be moved back as well.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
Wow; old school: brass and copper! ?

Looks like I would need to reroute the tranny-cooling lines.
Being that the lower tank is on the bottom.

Also; with it being 3" thick, that would probably mean the fan shroud would be moved back as well.
Ha the brass and copper is why I pulled it. Plus it's in great shape.

In my 85, I have very little room for a shroud. I do have a 300-6 so it's a bit longer than a v8.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the IDI radiator mount in stock locations?
How'd you mount it?

I think I saw rockauto selling a direct replacement (brass/copper) for $550.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
No no, I havent put that IDI radiator in anything. I have a BeCool in my bronco. And no, it has no built in mounts.

If you look close at the IDI radiator, on the edge closest to you in the pic, is a 2"×10" flange for mounting to the core support. I do remember only 4 bolts.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
833 Posts
CDA 455, yours should mount with the little “wings” on the side that sit in a rubber mount, correct? I don’t think any diesel radiators ever mounted that way
Not that radiator mounts are hard to make.... but as far as just drop in and go....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seeing as you plan on laying out a good deal of cake for a new engine, what about a nice aluminum one like shown AND add in an electronic fan set vs the old belt driven POS?
Only catch would be to go with a popular brand just in case the fan shitz the bed 5 years from now and you can get a replacement
Frees up more room under hood, works better, you may even gain a few Hp !

NOTE: If you do get one, ALWAYS unplug it if you plan on working anywhere near it.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that depends on what you call "fit". I'm running a fully universal BeCool 3" thick radiator in my 85.

I do know some of the pre-powerstroke diesels used GIANT downflow radiators. I pulled one from the JY once. Solid brass too.
I totally forgot about BeCool radiators.

Price-wise; they're a little more than half the price of Griffin radiators (my ideal choice).
Appears to be a very good compromise in price and quality.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,862 Posts
When I had my '87 Diesel dually, the radiator support was different than the '87 gas engine radiator support; the opening was larger.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
I totally forgot about BeCool radiators.

Price-wise; they're a little more than half the price of Griffin radiators (my ideal choice).
Appears to be a very good compromise in price and quality.
Yeah, I'm very pleased with mine. On the whole trip to and from Moab, I never got above 185°, even at 3000+ rpms for hours on end.

Being a 300-6, the inlet and outlet are opposite those of a SBF. I'm actually using a Chevy style universal circle track model. Dual 1" tubes and triple pass design. I measured my old radiator, and the opening and such of my core support and ordered one that fit. The core itself is about 28"x18".

My model was one of their cheaper models, while still being 100% aluminum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts