Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a weird guestion, should i change my steering wheel for a aftermarket one? and if so what adapter should i get?

Or should i just find a replacement ?

1.i dont mind loosing Cruise control
2. i need to change a broken bearing in the colum any way

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,610 Posts
The way the steering wheel and the column are shaped would keep me from putting in an aftermarket steering wheel. Plus the fact that cruise control would be a nice option to tell a prospective buyer when it comes time to sell.

My stereo has a lead for the volume and radio station to be changed from a steering wheel control, but because of the reasons I listed above, I havent changed steering wheels even though I would love the radio controls on the SW.

I would go back to the factory wheel myself.....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way the steering wheel and the column are shaped would keep me from putting in an aftermarket steering wheel. Plus the fact that cruise control would be a nice option to tell a prospective buyer when it comes time to sell.

My stereo has a lead for the volume and radio station to be changed from a steering wheel control, but because of the reasons I listed above, I havent changed steering wheels even though I would love the radio controls on the SW.

I would go back to the factory wheel myself.....just my 2 cents.
yeah, i was looking around and didnt find any good wheels to put on it, its that for some reason the guy left it in a hot sun and the logo is half melted hahahah

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i dont know, this looks freaking awesome

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Have you thought of just stitching a leather cover on the current steering wheel

·
Registered
92 Eddie Bauer
30 Posts
I ran a mooneyes in my last f150 thinking of getting another, white one maybe this time. They have a few options

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,847 Posts
You've got a '92, so you have the '92-93 sliding contacts system that was phased out when airbags were introduced. Grant (5275) and MOMO (4535) are the two hubs that supposedly are compatible. From what I understand, you remove the plastic piece that contains the sliding contacts from the back of the stock wheel, and bolt that to the aftermarket hub, which then accepts 5-bolt (Grant) or 6-bolt (MOMO) wheels. The horn and CC wiring, if applicable, pass through the hub as normal.

I picked up a spare rear portion of a '92 steering wheel last week to play around with. I haven't gotten my hands on a Grant or MOMO hub to test fit, but it seems like it would work as described. I've actually thought it would be nice to make my own adapter that is much shorter -- the aftermarket ones are long to replicate the deep stock wheel's placement -- and could work with a quick release hub. That would make the occasional need to climb into the back sooooo much easier.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you thought of just stitching a leather cover on the current steering wheel
hhhmmmm wouldnt it be like some kind of steering cover? or do you mean remove the old material and re stick the new one?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've got a '92, so you have the '92-93 sliding contacts system that was phased out when airbags were introduced. Grant (5275) and MOMO (4535) are the two hubs that supposedly are compatible. From what I understand, you remove the plastic piece that contains the sliding contacts from the back of the stock wheel, and bolt that to the aftermarket hub, which then accepts 5-bolt (Grant) or 6-bolt (MOMO) wheels. The horn and CC wiring, if applicable, pass through the hub as normal.

I picked up a spare rear portion of a '92 steering wheel last week to play around with. I haven't gotten my hands on a Grant or MOMO hub to test fit, but it seems like it would work as described. I've actually thought it would be nice to make my own adapter that is much shorter -- the aftermarket ones are long to replicate the deep stock wheel's placement -- and could work with a quick release hub. That would make the occasional need to climb into the back sooooo much easier.
indeed !!! but theres so many wheels and adapters, how i know that the one i got will fit?

and if its even worth it?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,847 Posts
indeed !!! but theres so many wheels and adapters, how i know that the one i got will fit?

and if its even worth it?
You have to decide first which steering wheel you'll go with, then get the appropriate hub. Those two Grant/MOMO hubs are patterned to fit the Bronco splines on the column, and they have the bolt pattern for their respective steering wheels. (Sparco, Nardi, and others usually fit the MOMO pattern.)

I considered getting one of the you-stitch leather covers as the simplest comfort upgrade (gotta love the materials Ford used for the steering wheels and shift knobs, oozing oils out of their pores), but I'd really like to have a 1" smaller diameter wheel if I'm going to change anything. A good cover costs nearly as much as the Grant/MOMO hubs, but then there's the cost of whatever wheel is selected.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Because of this thread I started searching for cruise control options with aftermarket wheels. Via the biggest world wide web search engine(not expecting FSB to have much) I found a thread right in this section!!!

It gives me hope for my 78... someday.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
196 Posts
There are a lot of good comments here. But, when it is time to update or replace the steering wheel on my truck I will go back with the original wheel if it is available. I'm not a fan of aftermarket stuff when replacing "high visibility" items. I like to keep it looking the way Mr. Ford made it!
TB

Reactions: fordbronco1995

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,333 Posts
I really like the setup Desolate sells with the NRG removeable quick connect setup.

That said I went with Grant stuff when I swapped my 92 over. I used their wheel and mount. Had to open up 1 hole in the mount for the wiring connector as it would not bolt completely flat as it came. I am very happy with how it is now and would do it agian. Their billet adapter covers the stock parts well and puts the wheel at a very, near stock placement and is very comfortable to me.

Not great pic as my camera at the time was crappy. will try to get better one. I think I remember trimming that base cover too as it slightly hit my pastic on the steering column. It more or less made a small noise. My column is a collection of parts though so you may not run into same issue if you go that route.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts