Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed several stock radios with no problem. I'm having difficulty removing the stock radio from my 95 Eddie Bauer. Any suggestions? Tricks?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I just pushed from the back..if you aren't using the cage or the radio, I guess there's no harm :shrug

I just reached up from under the dash/through the glove box and cig lighter and pushed it with my hand.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Hammer>:twak <stereo

...i dont have experience with your year... i just pulled mine out wiht my hands/screwdriver...
ace

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve83 said:
Are you using the U-tools? Just push them in until they snap & lock, pull them slightly OUTboard, & pull the radio out. QUOTE]

This procedure has worked in the past but not this time.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You might have the tools pushed in too far. If you do that, then pushing out makes them lock it in tighter. Push them in "just enough".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still having trouble removing the stock radio. I'm able to move the retainers but only when moving the removal wires (clothes hanger) inward. It seems I should be moving the retainers when moving the removal wires outward. I'm also using a hook from the back side to assist in prying the radio out. I think I have the left side disengaged. It's the right side hanging up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Some times the retainer outward stops deform or break allowing the retainer to move too far outward,you may have to grind the removal tools to a taper to get in behind the retainer(the taper should be with the sharp edge away from the radio .If that doesn't work,then you will have to some how get in behind the radio to push the retainer towards the radio with a screwdriver or ?. Hope this helps and good luck,bronco1.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I never had a problem with U-tools. Push it until it clicks in, then flex toward the outside edges of the radio and pull. The actual tools work better than coathangers, due to the tapering and notching.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Over the last 10 years I've had about 1/2 doz radios that had that problem,usually occured after someone had ,had the radio out previously.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bronco1 said:
Some times the retainer outward stops deform or break allowing the retainer to move too far outward,you may have to grind the removal tools to a taper to get in behind the retainer(the taper should be with the sharp edge away from the radio .If that doesn't work,then you will have to some how get in behind the radio to push the retainer towards the radio with a screwdriver or ?. Hope this helps and good luck,bronco1.
Outstanding idea. It worked and the radio is out. Thanks a bunch.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well the hell with it......bust out the Sawsall.....and have a go with that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts