Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any idea what the stock rear leaf packs were rated at... ie: if buying a coil for the rear what in/lb rate to use???

200,300,400 lbs???

how about the deavers rate??

dc

·
Registered
562 Posts
Leaf springs are not usually referred to like that...they're like 1700 lb rated (stock). They're so progressive I don't think you can put a lb-in number on them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Depends on what you're going to do with it. Jump it, crawl it, load it?

I'd guess 400 lb-in would be pretty heavy-duty. The 400 range up front are pretty average for aftermarket coils. I'd think something in the 300 range would be more suitable in the back.

Good thing is coils are waaaaay cheap compared to leaf springs, so a couple trial-and-errors aren't going to hurt too bad. $150-$250 for custom wound coils beats $600-700 for leaf springs!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
theres a strong possibiity growing for a radius arm coil rear... street/ trails... a sway bar may be incorporated too... im thinking 300
custom or kit? mustang rear coils are 250lbs, so 300 sounds about right

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I know stock spring rate for the front coils is 410 lb/in. IIRC the rear is 250 lb/in.

·
Registered
904 Posts
go over to pirate and look in the ford section, they have a sticky on "TOTM: rear coils" with a bunch of different rigs with that setup. Im sure some of those guys could give you an idea of what will work best.

I would imagine that a 300lb spring would be close to what you are looking for, although it would probably be... interesting... to drive on the street.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Unless you find someone's project to copy, it sounds like its a bit out of your range IMO. If you know how to design suspension you know how to find the right spring rate (s) etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts