Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best website or the best dealer for stock replacement 1995 5.8 motors. I checked with autozone, which is where I work, and oreilly's. I am jsut not too sure about parts house engines. Does anyone know if they are good or of a dealer of stock engines or long blocks that is reputable.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'm about 4 months in on a Jasper long block replacement for my '89... So far, so good.. Only problem I had was after my first oil change at 500 miles I got a bad oil leak. I took it back to shop and found it was leaking from the sending unit. Not sure why it leaked, but shop replaced it for me and only cost me $40. Jasper warranties engine pretty well, but doesn't warranty labor, costs extra for that warranty.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You know a sending unit is only like $20.00 or less and maybe 5mins of work?

for the OP,

things to think about;

If you get a crate engine, what warranty do you expect?
(most don't cover mechanic labor charges)

do you have a garage or are you doing it at some other shop?

what's wrong with your current engine? and why would you not reuse your current heads, manfiolds and others items?

Both have PRO & CONs, and one would cost more for obvious reasons. If you don't have the time and tools, a drop in crate engine would be the way to go. If you want to save a few dollars, have mechanic skills,time & tools, then a refresh longblock would be very attractive.

A certified engine builder with a nice warranty that provides a crate engine, where all you have todo is stick it back in the enginer bay and add oil, looks very attractive when your looking at another car payment.

I would price both out and look at the difference, also don't overlook a certified shortblock and the price of redoing your heads.

·
Super Moderator
26,324 Posts
yo, Get a price locally, then check out

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles
Source: by fordinstallersupport.com @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/...ogs/ptm200.pdf

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Dual Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles
Source: by fordinstallersupport.com @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/...ogs/ptf200.pdf
get some estimates from tthe Distributors & Ford; Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford Dealer

Look at this Excerpt;
"...Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured
Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides that Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford that is found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealership or return to the Installer who
originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for installation date verification.
Complete Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7003)
• 36 months or 36,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines
• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage
Warranty Start Date
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer—warranty begins on the date of installation
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold by Dealer or Installer over-the-counter or to a retail purchaser—
on the date of sale
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold
over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer..."

read more incl the;
"No-Risk" Core Return policy means accurate quotes for engine and transmissions are no problem. 100 percent core credit will be given (regardless of damage or quality of returned core); just follow these guidelines and the return runs
smoothly.
• Returned core is the same part as the assembly purchased
• Core is 100% complete with all parts attached and all fluids drained and is returned in original package..."

Hey! Your name is familar in re to a replacement engine. Did you ask a Q about this awhile ago? Is your engine toasted beyond a rebuild now?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,194 Posts
give any thought to rebuilding what you have?
Though you didn't say what was wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I would really like to hear experiences with the parts house engines, Autozone, advanced, etc.

They usually have a great warranty. I'm just curious how often warranties are denied.

The nice thing about the A/Z engines, you can install them yourself.....Others you have to have a certified Mech or certified installer install them.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You know a sending unit is only like $20.00 or less and maybe 5mins of work?

Yes I could have prob replaced myself, but had issues..
1) no time to deal with it, too much family life going on at the time.
2) Was leaking oil pretty bad. From location of all the oil I saw on front of engine and hoses + amount, I thought Main Front Seal was bad.
3) If trouble was major issue such as seals, I wanted the installer to fix it so would have proof for warranty claims if needed..

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I would really like to hear experiences with the parts house engines, Autozone, advanced, etc.
My last 302 was a RECON brand engine from Advance Autoparts.
I had no complaints with it.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts