Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it worth the effort to drive to the JY to try and find a factory skidplate to replace my invisible one:D or would i be better off buying a piece of steel and bending it on the brake where i used to work?

i don't wanna bash too much stuff on the T-case

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
get one from the JY but weld a gusset so it wont bow up in the middle. As soon as you see one you'll see the weak point. I've been high centered on it before and who knows what would have happened if that plate wasn't there. The stock one looks nice IMO and it's probably pretty cheap.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason i ask was the pics i've seen of stock ones they all look bent and fairly thin, and appear to hang down quite a bit. i don't plan on ever running a big lift or bigger than 33"s so ground clearance and scraping it up hills are concerns of mine

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I kept the stock t-case skid plate and had a 1/8" plate welded down the middle of it. It seems to have strengthened it up quite a but.

·
Registered
673 Posts
are those things riveted in or just bolted in. I have not looked but just this morning i was looking at my truck and that is basically the only thing sticking out on the bottom of the truck you can see so i was thinking of pulling it off and painting it a different color just to spice it up under there.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
They bolt on. The bolts thread into clips that snap onto the frame rail.

I would leave it black.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I like the idea of the 1/8" plate on the bottom, looks good and should be stronger than stock

·
Registered
183 Posts
shield

Sorry to hijack this thread but can 3/16" aluminum plate be used for a heat shield between the exhaust and the transfer case?
Bill

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
you can run a stocker and strengthen it up and drill some drain holes in it. Mine is always caked in mud. I am actually going to build one out of some schedule 40 1" steel pipe. because mine is all bent to S*** and is always full of mud. but they are important.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've always wondered if you could stack a couple of those stock skid plates of top of each other. Seems like it should be much stronger, especially if you weld a brace to the top skid plate. I've got to do something with mine soon too, because last time I removed it the thing was so sprung out of shape that it took two jacks to get it back to a shape where I could bolt it back on.:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's why I suggested a tube one. It would be supper stong and will help with heat issues down there.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hope you find one at a JY.......the last two I visited had several heavily stripped Bronco's w/o a skidplate in sight.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
well they are the ext same ones that they run on f150-f350 so you don't have to limit yourself to broncos

·
Registered
171 Posts
when mine got bent to the point where it snapped the bolts on one side I just removed it & set it on the sidewalk. Thats when I started jumping up & down on it like it was a trampoline til it started to straighten out. After that I set it on the ground under my front bumper & put the base of my hi-lift on it jacked up the front of my bronco on it & left it like that for a day. Came out the next morning & let the weight of the bronco back off of it & it was as good as new.:thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts