Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking about putting in the Edelbrock intake this summer and have seen people putting on 56mm throttlebodies. Am cutious as to what size the stock TB's are.

Looking at doing the sixlitre tune-up as well and anat to do everything at the same time. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you arent upgrading the heads and cam I would just go with the 56, thats what I have on mine. I havent done any upgrades besides the sixliter ignition upgrade. If you do put on a larger TB than the 56 you will have to port the opening of the intake where the TB mounts.

Rich

·
Registered
600 Posts
you could port and polish your throttle body. for a few extra horses. i know this picks up about 10 horses on an ls1. So im not sure what it will do on the 351

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Don't bother with a bigger throttle body unless you're planning a future engine that would warrant one, and your stock one is dying/trashed, and even at that, I would probably just go for a junkyard one.

Polishing and all that other crap for our throttle bodies won't have any effect on our stock engines.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Stock trucks are dual 45mm (which equals a single 64mm)

Dual 56mm = single 79mm
Dual 61mm = single 86mm

·
Registered
118 Posts
you could port and polish your throttle body. for a few extra horses. i know this picks up about 10 horses on an ls1. So im not sure what it will do on the 351
eh not really, i picked up around 2ish if that. not really worth it on a ls1, IMO

·
Registered
600 Posts
did you do it yourself and did you do everything. I picked up 8 doing it myself. And it was my first time. A shop who does it all right can pick up 10. I did the bump stop mod port and polished, knife edged the blade, and did the shaft mod.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have the edelbrock intake and bbk 56mm throttle body. You can really tell a difference on throttle response. The bronco right now is recieving gt40 heads and jba headers with a new exhaust system. So with all of that combined I should see a noticable difference.

If all you're planning is the intake and throttle body, I would suggest putting it off until you plan/can afford to make other upgrades, otherwise it's just a waste for the minimal performance gains that you'll experience.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The edelbrock intake ALONE on a 351 will make a heck of a difference. The stock 5.8 intake sucks big old salty balls.

I'd do the intake at a minimum, but ditch the TB. The stock one is plenty for a stock engine.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I mean a $500 intake manifold and a $300 throttle body is a significant amount of dough to pay for those minimal gains in my opinion.

Now, coupled with exhaust, headers, and possibly a cam then you'll see some real performance peaks, but in my case it was a noticeable change in throttle response but not drastic.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I mean a $500 intake manifold and a $300 throttle body is a significant amount of dough to pay for those minimal gains in my opinion.

Now, coupled with exhaust, headers, and possibly a cam then you'll see some real performance peaks, but in my case it was a noticeable change in throttle response but not drastic.
$300.00 for a throttle body :shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked

Al it does is flow air !!!!!!!!!! Not even gas, like a carb !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Those of us with a 5.0 litre truck upper intakes, note that they do not suck, they're actually great torque producers. Now if I can find a throttle body on E-bay for $8.00 !:toothless

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

You should have done just the intake alone on your 351, and then done the TB later, and you'd have seen that the TB made almost no difference, and that it was all in the intake.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like I will hold of on the TB upgrade. Adding the intake to my current headers, CAI, exhaust, and electric fan should do just fine. I use the truck for the winter and going to the gun range.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Well, you probably have a K&N FIPK. which is not a cold air intake... you should consider modding it so that it actually draws in cold air from outside.

Yes, the edelbrock intake, which is the upper and lower, will make a big difference, not the throttle body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts