Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my stock brakes, I couldn't stop my '78 in 1st gear 4-low with the clutch out (SM465, NP205, 4.56 gears & 36" tires). Today I finished up the F-350 brake upgrade (MC/booster, wheel cylinders, T-bird calipers + braided stainless steel lines everywhere), and it still won't stop in 1st gear 4-low. It seems like it's getting closer to stopping, but that may just be wishful thinking. Pedal feel is comparable to stock, maybe a little firmer.

I've just been crawling back and forth in my back yard and haven't yet road tested to see if I can lock the wheels at speed; previously I couldn't.

For other with similar vehicles/brakes, are you able to stop in 4-low 1st with the clutch out, or is our low just too low for anything short of a major brake overhaul?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
If you push in the clutch the brakes will stop it just fine.
:thumbup

I'm using 1st 4-low as a yardstick for stopping power because if something fails during testing, I'd rather bonk into whatever's ahead of me at 3 mph than 30.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
soksniffer said:
That adapter must have been expensive, you sure its not an NP-435 or T-18.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Just push in the clutch and stomp the brake? Don't run it in 4 low. Umm start out in second?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Disk brakes all around. The lower you go the harder it will be to stop in low 1st. Just think what it would be like with a doubler.

I think the perfect setup with a manual is to be able to stall in gear so you can restart and crawl right away. No clutch on the restart. You are just about at the perfect setup.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
my bronco has not had the best brakes on it since I put the 1 ton front axle in. but the stock brakes could always stall my fresh 400 with 4.56's, np435 and 205 in low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts