Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, any good ways about this?
any animal it comes in conatact with this last 3 weeks in the backyard it has killed.
its a 9 month old siberian husky. great loving dog, but goes nuts on the backyard.
last 3 weeks rocky has gotten
3 possums
2 squirels
3 birds
and 1 mole.
im getting tired of cleaning up the dead body's
id really avoid having to hold him on his leash in our own fenced in back yard.
anyways to help?
scolding him doesnt help, now he just runs with the dead bodys instead of bringing them to me

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
that's true ... he thinks you will be proud of him ... hard to say how to stop him from doing it without disappointing him

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try taking the carcasses and sticking up in his face (in sort of a why did you do this you little shit way) and then hit him on the nose (not so that it hurts him but so that what he knows what he did was wrong). I dunno its worked with my dog on some stuff?

·
huh
7,195 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
Once a dog tastes blood, its near impossible to break him from it.
grab one of the dead animals.. gut it, fill it with dog $#!t.. then tie a string to it and have the dog chase it around and grab it.. when it bites in and instead of blood it gets some $#!t on its tongue it should stop..
(This information is provided for educational purposes only. By doing it you release your right to prosecute me)

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
get an electric trianing color. everytime it goes after a a rodent, shock it. wait until it gets ready to do it though, there isnt anything really wrong about chasing it. after a dozen times or so im sure he wont do it again

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I would think that once the dog has the taste of blood and gets the thrill of the 'hunt' its gonna be hard to break him of that...

I dont know very much about dogs...Maybe Astra can chime in? Shes a walking doggy dictionary.

On a side note, I had a siberian husky as a baby...Awesome awesome dogs.

·
0 Posts
stick a bell on it
Yup, alert every little animal that the dog is coming. His success rate will diminish and the farmland animals will thank you.

·
King of the Trailer Park
559 Posts
It will be very hard to break him of this. We owned a husky that did the same thing. That breed of dog is notorious for killing everything in its territory. One thing that might work, it worked for the lab I owned. He used to kill the chickens so I took a dead one and tied it around hi neck for a cpl days, he never killed another chicken after that.

·
Prettier Than You
862 Posts
From the Siberian Husky Club of America: "Predatory instincts in the Siberian Husky are strong. While the Siberian is normally gentle and friendly with people and other dogs, owners MUST be aware that small animals in and around the home, such as squirrels, rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, and CATS, are potential victims of their strong predatory instinct. They are swift, cunning, and patient in their hunting skills."

This is pretty much across the board as their tempermant goes. My grandparents had a Sibe when I was younger, beautiful dog with one green and one blue eye :D , and we had the same problem with him. Any animal that got into or low enough over his pen typically didn't make it out.

We just dealt with it and cleaned it up because we had read before we got the dog that it was one of their traits. I've read about people training them to not chase the animals but I don't know how early you have to start or how successful they've been.

Maybe you could try and section the yard and build him a smaller pen. Perhaps that would limit the amount of animals he could get to. Huskies naturally have an instinct to run anyway and it's recommended that they are leashed or kenneled at all times for their own safety, since they will take off and just run. Just be careful though, 'cause they like to dig to so you'd have to build the fence low enough into the ground to keep him from digging under it.

I'd say maybe attempting to train him not to go after the animals or limiting his space in the yard. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
yeah we did the "tie the dead chicken on the dog" thing on my dog too. It worked for us. :shrug

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is at the house he is having trouble. when i walk him with his special collar he only looks, but knows not to chase the animals he sees. the first thing hes off his leash though, all of that flies out the window.
the problem is he runs so fast...........
im gonna try the bell tonight with him,
he is an indoor dog that likes to spend lots of time outdoors.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
1) It IS his instinct.

2) Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. Just think you will never have a rodent problem in the backyard!!!!!!!!!

3) Once all the rodents are gone, you'll have nothing to worry about.

4) refer to rule #2 in time of need.

5) Do like I do and when I want to see a furry creature, i drive to the mountains.

ps, I am just trying to be funny with ya. :toothless

1 - 20 of 25 Posts