Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are times when a comment in a thread brings a story to mind, but you really don't want to clog up someone's thread with story that is kinda related to, but not beneficial to the thread.

@Doosenberry 's post in his "whippin the 78" thread about open exhaust reminded me of my poor brother.

My dad was a mechanic. He had his own garage, later a Signal gas station, continued at night school to get his teaching credential & taught auto shop for 30+ years at Garfield HS. So the 4 of us grew up around things automotive.

But my mom's #5 had a different dad. He lived with Mom & Stepdad & I lived with Dad & Stepmom. Youngest brother knew nothing about cars. Zero. I had an old truck I was building that had open manifolds. Flame would shoot out if you revved it up & down. I'd stuff rags in the open end of the manifold when I shut it down to keep cold air off of the valves. My other brother had told him about the "fire breathing" engine & he was excited & asked me to see it. He was probably 10. Giving it no thought I showed him where to look while I fired it up. He had his head under the hood looking down alongside the engine. Apparently he had no idea that an engine with open exhaust would be loud. It never crossed my mind that the noise would be a surprise. Oops. It scared him witless. He cried, crossed his legs like he was gonna wet himself, & kinda danced. I climbed out of the cab & tried to get him to look at the fire, but all he could do was beg me to turn it off. I shut it down & tried to explain that the noise was normal with the hopes of him seeing the fire he'd been excited to see, but it was all over. I don't think he's been under a hood since.

Sooo... got any stories that just don't belong anywhere?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
@El Kabong Let’s see, manifolds and high school automotive shop teachers. God Bless then all! Do they still offer it in HS?

Miami Senior High, 1979...my senior year. I’m finally able to take automotive shop! The teacher, forgot his name, upon the students arriving first day would reach out his hand to shake your’s. Unbeknownst to us students is he was holding a plug wire on an old Briggs engine with his other hand. Another student would then pull the rope and damn!! That hurt and scared the heck out of me! Today, he’s be arrested for child endangerment or something.

BTW: A little Miami history. Miami Sr High auto shop was where many “go fast” wrenchers, navigators first started to master their skills. As folks scored big and became boat owners other auto shop students/friends were recruited.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
@El Kabong Let’s see, manifolds and high school automotive shop teachers. God Bless then all! Do they still offer it in HS?

Miami Senior High, 1979...my senior year. I’m finally able to take automotive shop! The teacher, forgot his name, upon the students arriving first day would reach out his hand to shake your’s. Unbeknownst to us students is he was holding a plug wire on an old Briggs engine with his other hand. Another student would then pull the rope and damn!! That hurt and scared the heck out of me! Today, he’s be arrested for child endangerment or something.

BTW: A little Miami history. Miami Sr High auto shop was where many “go fast” wrenchers, navigators first started to master their skills. As folks scored big and became boat owners other auto shop students/friends were recruited.
Depends on the school. The one a few miles away from me has carpentry but the one I went to didn't. Closest thing was pottery. They have an Aice testing center now though.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
I've many stories to share related to my cars. But I'm not drunk enough yet.

But I do think that it's a shame to see vocational training disappear from public education. Not everyone is meant for college and you can make a real nice life for yourself with a trade.

Stepping down from my soapbox, I was blessed with mechanical inclinations from both sides of my family.

My first memories of car repair are just watching my grandfather ( wwii b17 crew chief) working on one of numerous old Fords. My youthful fascination with an air wrench is indescribable.

I couldn't have been 10, when he asked me to pack some wheel bearings. I was pretty grossed out by the bearing grease. I wasn't doing it well, and certainly not to his satisfaction. And I clearly remember him grabbing my hand and slapping a huge helping of bearing grease in my hand. And he said something along the lines of "here. Now this is how you do it".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
As far as auto shop classes in high school, I went to one for a very short time that had an automotive class. I will preface that this was a very upscale area, imo anyway, and must have been a very well funded public school. It was a full shop, it had 2-3 two post lifts, 1 four post lift, and it had a legit chassis dyno. It was what you would expect at a college. They would get a donated vehicle to disassemble and put back together, but it had to be crushed at the end of the year, things like that.

It's too bad I only went there for a couple of months before I moved states, yet again (divorced parents). The school itself was huge (three stories tall), was pretty lenient on a lot of things that weren't typical from other schools I went to (you could wear hats inside, etc.), and had a lot more varied classes available. It's too bad most schools aren't funded like that.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
Here's that high school's available courses for next school year. lol Effin' ridiculous the amount of available stuff. I would have taken a lot of the automotive related classes had I stayed. I was only in the regular automotive class for a wee bit.

·
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they still offer it in HS?
Actually, my middle brother mentioned above is a HS auto shop teacher to this day. Right here in commiefornia.

·
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't have been 10, when he asked me to pack some wheel bearings. I was pretty grossed out by the bearing grease. I wasn't doing it well, and certainly not to his satisfaction. And I clearly remember him grabbing my hand and slapping a huge helping of bearing grease in my hand. And he said something along the lines of "here. Now this is how you do it".
(y) Oh yeah. I remember my dad showing us how to pack bearings by hand too. He had a packer that made it so you didn't have to fill up your hand, but he thought we needed to know the skill anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts