Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yes I have searched first off. But seriously there is almost nothing covering this very in-depth. I see a few guys out there with some pretty good setups. But could I see some more detailed pictures of anyone who has a 4 link with coilover. What size coilovers would I need to run like 5" lift. What about steering? Whats the best way to go about redoing that? Use a new pitman or?? I guess here is my main point being I have been all over the place here. I am planning on building 4 link up front and rear. I will be running coilovers up front and due to money and value to me. So what would you suggest? Any tips and such on anything? Just give me a clue? I aint blind and dumb just trying to do homework.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
scott had a bit more than 5" of lift though. most coilovers are adjustable to a certain extent. what amount of travel were you looking to get out of them?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
jrdbronco said:
scott had a bit more than 5" of lift though. most coilovers are adjustable to a certain extent. what amount of travel were you looking to get out of them?
Yah, I noticed that, but it's the only real 4 link I can think of on the board...
I am sure you could always raise the upper mount or get a smaller coilover.
-Casey

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I re-read what I have written and I am sorry for it not making much sense. I want to build it with coilovers up front and spring and shock in rear. I need it to have substantial support in the rear for towing my boat and things around while doubling as a toy. This is another reason for only going 5" on the lift. Whats the best coilover to use at a fair price? Whats the best springs to use with the rear? What would you maybe suggest on where to place tract bar up front, I am a little hesitant on where it should be placed. I need sway-bars, or do I not need sway-bars?

Ps thanks for the help you have already shown. that calc is awesome! and i have been rummaging around pirate a little for now till i get more time.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
im kinda fuzzy on one aspect of your plans. why, exactly,do you need to go with coilovers? you can get almost as good flex out of a standard coil/extended arm setup, for much less hassle and brainwork. if you're 100% set on coilovers and 4 link, do what was previously mentioned and venture over to pirate, search coilover/4 link and read until your eyes bleed and your head pops.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
1 - An 8" or 10" travel shock is you best bet to get 5" of lift

2 - If you are doing a true 4 link in the front you won't use a track bar

3 - If you do a 4 link set up in the front remove any thoughts of using the rig for towing. The weight in the back will want to unload your front suspension and make for light steering. If you want coil over shocks on a tow rig stay with radius arms. By thier nature radius rams will limit rotation of the axle where a 4 link will want to rotate to unload.

4 - Shock? Pick a brand. They are all pretty good.

5 - Use a 2.5" shock.

6 - Start with a 375 over 425 weight springs. Plan on buying 4 sets until you find the combo thats right for your rig.

7 - If I were going to be towing I'd want a sway bar.

8 - Your tie rod, drag link and track bar will all have to be custom built pieces. I only use D.O.M. tubing for mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts