Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they made for the bronco? I'm eventually going to do a manual swap and I want straight cut gears.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
They are SSSSSOOOOOOOO loud!!!! Know how reverse gear whines? That's because it's a straight cut gear.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
I agree. WHY? helical gears are stronger and quieter. only problem with them is axial thrust. im starting to wonder when there going to start making double-helical gear transmissions for some of these high HP cars they keep coming out with

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I don't think so

if they do,man will they really sing

ever hear how loud the straight cut timing gears hot rod guys run?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i asked for whys and how loud are they then I would've asked that lol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
As far as I know, no one makes a drop-in set of spur-cut gears for the bronco transmissions. However, most serious performance/racing shops can fab a set up that would work. You wouldn't get any kind of synchronizing with the straight-cut gears, if I remember right.

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeesh. now that i look back on it and are not stoned, **** that...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
:shrug

Why?
First off if you can damage helical cut gears you dang sure can damage straight cut gears.
2nd its not pratical. Under normal service and maitenance you should never have to replace helical gears, you will replace the syncros and maybe some seals and a throwout bearing or two. But the idea of straight cut gears is just crazy imo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:shrug

Why?
First off if you can damage helical cut gears you dang sure can damage straight cut gears.
2nd its not pratical. Under normal service and maitenance you should never have to replace helical gears, you will replace the syncros and maybe some seals and a throwout bearing or two. But the idea of straight cut gears is just crazy imo
Yeah, can't wait to swap to manual though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts